Wash scrubs with regular laundry?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Wash scrubs with regular laundry? in Nursing Scrubs / Uniforms / Gear, part of General Nursing ... Does anyone wash their dirty scrubs with their regular load of laundry? I know the soap is...by jdsp87 Dec 23, '10Does anyone wash their dirty scrubs with their regular load of laundry? I know the soap is self-cleaning, but it seems kind of weird to wash the bacteria out of your scrubs, let them float in the laundry water, and be exposed to the rest of your clothes!
Or do you always wash your scrubs as a separate load? I work part-time and only have 2 sets of scrubs and washing those four pieces of clothing separate is starting to get tiring.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=522649©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 6,897 Views
- Dec 23, '10 by caliotter3I always wash mine as a separate load anyway.
- Dec 23, '10 by stdnurseMariDef, wash in sep load!
- Dec 23, '10 by Boog'sRN246If my scrubs are white, they go in with the whites. If my scrubs are colored, they go in with the colors. I don't separate because my utility bill is high enough already. I feel like my regular clothes are more of a risk than my scrubs b/c, for the most part, in the hospital you already have an idea of what you're encountering. Who knows what that random guy at Wal-Mart is carrying around with him?
- Dec 23, '10 by ElvishI always wash my scrubs separately, always have and probably you will see me doing it when I'm 75 and still truckin'.
- Dec 26, '10 by yousoldtheworldYep. To be perfectly honest, I'm really lazy when it comes to laundry - I just throw everything in together...scrubs, regular clothes, towels, whatever (I don't really wear white, so it's not much of an issue, colorwise). I might use oxyclean or colorsafe bleach if something in a load is particularly gross.
I live alone so I only have two loads of laundry a week...I can't justify doing more separate loads when the soap and hot water are going to get rid of anything on them, anyway. Bad for my utility bill and bad for the environment. I've never had any issue from doing so.
- Dec 29, '10 by meadowsongI always have and probably always will...........I have way too much laundry in the first place and am not willing to another load!
- Dec 30, '10 by live&love&healAfter I have worn a pair of scrubs I put them in a separate laundry bag. I wash them in a different load than the regular load.
Also, I add a little ammonia to my wash to remove acid stains and make my laundry fresh and sweet smelling.
- Dec 30, '10 by Spidey's momYes, I wash them with the regular laundry.
However I do separate out my dh's work clothes as they are covered in oil, kerosene, grease, etc.
- Feb 22, '11 by luckieIm sure its not bad to wash them with your other clothes. I have never heard of someone getting sick from how they wash scrubs. do what saves money.