When pts demand pain meds AND are sedatedRegister Today!
This is a discussion on When pts demand pain meds AND are sedated in Nursing and Patient Medications, part of General Nursing ... this may seem like a basic question, but i'm pretty new to this and run into it a lot----what do...by Cauliflower Nov 28, '12this may seem like a basic question, but i'm pretty new to this and run into it a lot----what do you do when a patient demands more pain meds but are already sedated? and vital signs are stable? i imagine they may still be in pain while sedated, but i don't want to act in an unsafe manner either.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=799776©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 707 Views
- Nov 29, '12 by dudette10Can you define "sedated" in your context? In general, if you're talking about a patient who wakes up, is groggy, and requests pain meds, I would medicate the patient.
- Nov 29, '12 by Caulifloweryup, that's what i meant. i guess groggy is a better word.
- Nov 30, '12 by SinmanI agree with dudette10 if they are waking up requesting pain meds and their v/s are stable I would go ahead and give them what the Doctor had ordered them for pain
- Nov 30, '12 by loriangel14Where I work sedation and pain meds are usually given together.Yes, if a pt is getting sedation I would still medicate for pain if VS are stable.
- Nov 30, '12 by CauliflowerThank you all for responding! I appreciate the help