Grand Canyon RN-BSN - Page 4Register Today!
- Nov 18, '12 by tokmomQuote from pandorasboxI think I will bite the bullet, say a prayer and go forth with GCU. I did a lot of research on the corporate level with my nat'l organization whom has no affiliation with them. I was surprised that my email go the attention of the VP of education with my mothership. They contacted GCU and then got back to me. According to VP, a lot of heads rolled during the last two years with upper managment. They switched to a new computer system that screwed things up. They didn't expect the overwhelming growth of their online program and the chaos that ensued.Hi tokmom - Have you made your decision on the program you will attend? GCU? And do you have extra coursework to do?
The excutive director of online education at GCU, actually called me the day after she talked to my nat'l organization. I hit her with all the questions many of us had here. I liked the fact she did not make excuses and said that things were getting much better.
The students that end up taking extra classes are those that enroll quickly and don't wait for official transcripts to be evaluated. IMO, I think that practice should stop and people should not be allowed to start until they know exactly what they will need. The people that I talked to that seemed the happiest (in person, at work or FB) were those that had their ducks in a row before they started.
My last official transcript arrived last week and the academic advisor said I would have an official education plan on Monday or Tuesday. He has already reviewed my unofficial, so I can't see much change. What would be the difference? He said my gradepoint was more than adequate.
Anyway, I'm nervous and will be happy to know for sure that I won't have any added material.
Also, my organization, after the phone call, was thinking of partnering with GCU. The Exec at GCU told me this and to keep in touch with my organization. This could lead to some extreme discounts for me on top of the 3000.00 a year my direct organization pays for. I already qualify for grants. I don't know if I would put off starting though. It depends on the length of wait time and the extra monies I would save. I'm hoping if this does go through, the deal will be sealed prior to Feb.
I will let you know the update, so stay tuned...Last edit by tokmom on Nov 18, '12
- Nov 19, '12 by pandorasboxSounds like things are falling into place. That's great! I'll give GCU a call to see if they can give me official status on where i stand regarding coursework. For sure they are going to make me take a biblical course cuz its a Christian school and I've never taken anything like it. We'll see what happens.
By the way, where do you live? I'm from Illinois. :-)Last edit by pandorasbox on Nov 19, '12
- Dec 3, '12 by sarapRNIn response to your question about GCU, I am more than half way through the program, and have had no major problems. I am doing my entire program on line, and the only real problem I have had is in one of the earlier classes and group work. It was more of a classmate problem than a school problem. One of the people in my group did not contribute very much, adding more work for the rest of us. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the program. I work full time, and take one class at a time (5 week, 3 credit classes). Hope this helps! Good luck
- Dec 4, '12 by pandorasboxThx for responding sarapRN. I'm wondering if you can tell us if all courses involve group projects, and how do you resolve the issue if someone doesn't pull their weight? I personally dislike all group projects cuz I have encountered this problem and inevitably end up doing more work than I should. Also, does GCU have lecture videos or anything of that sort? How long till you're done? And how long did it take you to reach half way through the program?Thx!
- Dec 5, '12 by tokmomHey Pandorasbox, clean out your inbox. I can't send a pm
- Dec 5, '12 by tokmomSarapRN. how was the stats class? Can you give any heads up? Is there reading material or a book to buy in advance?
pandorasbox: It seems this group thing is even in brick and mortar and like you, I find it annoying that I will have to finish a project because some slacker decided not to do it.
SarapRN, thanks for any help you can give us.
- Dec 5, '12 by roseonyei had my transcripts unofficially evaluated and it looks like i will need only the nursing class. if i start dec 12 then my expected graduation date is march 2014. But i dont want to start when i know for sure where i stand officially. i am glad they did all the work. I am also waiting for chamberlain, capella and South newhampshier university. i will go with the cheapest or less class. i didnt know you get a discount if you an ANA member. 10% will do a lot of help. also i transfared stats class yay.
- Dec 5, '12 by pandorasboxTokmom - I just cleared out my inbox. Please resend private mssg.
- Jan 13 by tokmomQuote from sarapRNIn response to your question about GCU, I am more than half way through the program, and have had no major problems. I am doing my entire program on line, and the only real problem I have had is in one of the earlier classes and group work. It was more of a classmate problem than a school problem. One of the people in my group did not contribute very much, adding more work for the rest of us. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the program. I work full time, and take one class at a time (5 week, 3 credit classes). Hope this helps! Good luck
SarapRN, any update? Pro's, cons? Where are you now in the program?
How was stats? Any help on that one that you can give?
- Jan 25 by tokmomHow is everyone doing?