Does the California BRN accept Edukan Microbiology?Register Today!
- by J Roark Nov 18, '11Hello,
I'm an Indiana RN trying to get endorsement in California. Despite having my associate's degree, license, and experience, the California BRN won't grant me a California RN license unless I take Microbiology. Microbiology was an option at my college, but not a requirement. I could probably test out of it, but for whatever reason, the California BRN hates Excelsior College and will not accept anything from them--including their test-out exam. They're the only institution in the country to offer the exam (CLEP doesn't).
So, after looking at all the online microbiology courses, I've come to the conclusion that the Edukan Microbiology class would be the best option for me, as the lab is completely online.
My biggest concern is that the California BRN will not accept a Microbiology course that has an online lab...
Does anyone know whether or not the California BRN accepts Edukan's Microbiology Course?
I would take it at a local college, but I can't currently drive due to medical reasons (seizures).
Thank you so much for your help!Last edit by J Roark on Nov 18, '11
- Nov 18, '11 by caliotter3I would take an online micro class from a CA school to make it easier. Doubt they will refuse to accept a course from an accredited CA school. Or, you can write the CA BRN to obtain a written answer regarding that specific course after you have found out on the phone.
- Nov 18, '11 by J RoarkI would take it through a California school, but the only online California micro courses I've found require you to buy a microscope and other materials for your at-home "lab," and I just can't afford it. I'm really broke right now, and the online lab at Edukan only costs $15 for the software.
I talked to a BRN representative and he said they can't approve/recommend an out-of-state school, only California schools (which seems crazy, because they're the ones that look at out-of-state transcripts to determine whether or not your credits are worthy of endorsement).
I'll try again.
Thanks for your reply!
- Nov 18, '11 by caliotter3Most online courses that have a lab component require the purchase of a scope. Look around for a used one for sale. I've seen one or two here and there. I can see that the BRN rep would not recommend an out of state school. However, they make a decision on already completed course work that is presented to them. That would make some kind of sense. Just take the course from a CA school. Good luck.
- Nov 24, '11 by vintagemotherWhich California schools offer online Micro? or A&P? I've not seen any. Well, my local JC just started offering A&P for LVN's online this year - only 1 section.
- Nov 24, '11 by NurseCubanitaRN2bHow is the BRN know the course will be online? As long as the course has a lab included they will accept. That was told to me from the BRN. Ask them directly for confirmation.