- by starry108 Mar 17, '09I need some honest advice. I have one more semenster before I graduate,. The first thing I am scared I will not find a job. I recently applied for a nurse extern, at a local hosp., and was told because of my criminal background ( 2 batteries2000 and 2004), I would not allowed to work there. The advice I was given I could work for a private practice.Now I am scared I will not be able to get my license from the state. I do not know what I am going to do. I am in debt worth severall thousands of dollar. Do I finish my nursing degree and take my chance on trying to find a job, or do I just forget about nursing and go into a new degree program. Ihave learn from my past mistakes and I am working really hard to change my life, but I am afraid I will always be looked at as the person I was from my past. Please I need some honest advice. Thank you
- Mar 19, '09 by sirIquestions we seem to be encountering more and more often have to do with the effects of a criminal history on nursing licensure:
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a criminal history and if so, can i get a job?
- is it possible to become licensed as a nurse if you have a mip, dui, or other related charges?
- what happens if you are charged or convicted of a crime after licensure?
- can i go to nursing school and/or be licensed/be employed if my record has been sealed or expunged?
- will i be able to go to nursing school and/or attend clinicals with a criminal record?
- what can happen if i receive a mip/dui/dwi or other charge while still in school?
these are questions that the members of allnurses.com cannot answer. the only reliable source of information is your state board of nursing.
if you are a nursing student or are interested in becoming a nurse you need to contact your bon and/or your school of nursing directly. you need to be completely candid with them as to the nature and disposition of the crimes. each board of nursing makes a determination on a case by case basis and some are willing to issue a declarative statement in advance.