What courses do nurse educators need to have? What courses do nurse educators need to have? | allnurses

LEGAL NOTICE TO THE FOLLOWING ALLNURSES SUBSCRIBERS: Pixie.RN, JustBeachyNurse, monkeyhq, duskyjewel, and LadyFree28. An Order has been issued by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota that affects you in the case EAST COAST TEST PREP LLC v. ALLNURSES.COM, INC. Click here for more information

What courses do nurse educators need to have?

  1. 0 Here in Australia all nurse educators either have to have or are encouraged to complete a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in order to teach.
    Other than that course, teachers need to have a Post Graduate degree in Education.

    Does the USA have the Certificate IV also or is there a similar course as I am looking at completing the course before we move there next year or is there a similar course that is required for me?

    Last edit by Joe V on Apr 30, '12 : Reason: formatting for easier reading
  2. 3 Comments

  3. Visit  Pixie.RN profile page
    #1 0
    Moved to the Nursing Educators/Faculty forum to encourage responses.
  4. Visit  K+MgSO4 profile page
    #2 0
    The expression Cert IV is Australia specific. It is a tertiary certification.
  5. Visit  Britrn04 profile page
    #3 0
    It depends at what level of education you want to teach. I have found you need at least your BSN to teach in an LPN/LVN program. Some associate programs may take BSN nurses to do clinical classes and/or labs. Nurse educators can take Masters level courses for 18 months or longer to get a Masters and teach in many settings (like at the university level or as a clinical educator in a hospital). You really must familiarise yourself with how nurses are educated here. It is very different from the UK and Australia. I am from the UK (trained in the USA though), and did a four year BSN program. Nurses can also do an associate degree program (2+ yrs) and sit the NCLEX-RN boards. To get started in education you have to at least have a four year degree and experience! Also, I have lived in many States here and some states it is easier to get started than others Hope that helps a bit!