LVN wants to teach CNA courses down the line....RN degree?

  1. Hello all my fellow nurses! I am currently a LVN. Graduated from diploma program in 2008, worked for about 2 years in the pediatric home health industry. Also interviewed for a new up and running CNA/LVN school for a teaching position. However, I don't think it was very legit. They wanted me to go around and market their program for them, gather students, then I'd get paid depending on how many students I brought to their program....yeaaaaah. Needless to say, I didn't pursue that.

    Fast forward to today, and I'm a stay at home mom, about to have my second baby. I am thinking of what I want to do when I return to the workforce. I love the idea of teaching....maybe getting my RN? I enjoyed the work I have done so far, although if only for a short time.

    I enjoyed the one-on-one aspect of homecare/pedi care. I have no desire to work in a hospital. A clinic, maybe. But what I'd really like to do is teach CNA courses. I don't believe I'd necessarily NEED a RN degree for that, but would it be beneficial? I've also never worked in a LTC....only during my clinicals while in LVN school. I have provided home care, so I did have to do basic care, as well as "nursing care" for my patients.

    Anyways, should I go for my ADN? I don't think I'd go higher than ADN. I already have a BA and at this point in my life, the less school, the better for me. I love education and sharing my knowledge w/ people, but not in the sense that I'd want to instruct would be-LVNs.

    And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think LVN's can also teach in CNA programs....just curious as to what others think.


  2. Visit BA.LVN profile page

    About BA.LVN

    Joined: Mar '08; Posts: 110; Likes: 36


  3. by   IEDave
    IMO - depends on the venue. My late mother taught CNA/CMA courses at a local tech school as an LVN, and the instructor for my CNA course at the local Red Cross chapter was an LVN, so I doubt that an RN is specifically necessary to teach CNA's.

    However, the Pharmacy Tech class I took through a local ROP affiliated with a public school district required the instructor to have formal teaching credentials in addition to experience as a tech (she still works part-time in community pharmacy). My mom didn't have teaching credentials, and I don't believe my CNA instructor did either.

    This may vary from state to state as well, so I'd see about contacting your state's Board of Education to see if they have credentialing requirements just to be on the safe side.

    ----- Dave
  4. by   JustBeachyNurse
    In my state an RN is required to teach CNA or CHHA classes. RN/BSN required to teach LPN courses. Both requirements have been set forth by the board of nursing so ou can start there.
  5. by   BA.LVN
    Thanks guys!

    JustBeachyNurse, what state do you reside in? I'm in CA.
  6. by   JustBeachyNurse
    East coast. Check with the agency that certifies CNA's in your state for credential requirements. LPN, RN, and CHHA are credentialed by the board of nursing while CNAs are credentialed by the department of health. Instructor credentials are described through several agencies including the dept of education for vocational programs such as LPN & CNA in conjunction with the board of nursing.
  7. by   BA.LVN
    ok, thanks again for all the info!
  8. by   BeanTrees
    In San Diego, my CNA instructor was an LVN with about ten years experience. He did not have his teaching degree, but was working towards it. I too would like to teach someday.
  9. by   nursefromcali
    Hi I dont if these thread is still updated, just want to ask how to have teaching credential as LVN here Cali? Or how to become CNA/MA teacher as LVN thank you
  10. by   JustBeachyNurse
    Quote from nursefromcali
    Hi I dont if these thread is still updated, just want to ask how to have teaching credential as LVN here Cali? Or how to become CNA/MA teacher as LVN thank you
    When I look at the BVNPT site under education it appears RN BSN with relevant clinical experience per the application for VN instructor or VN clinical preceptor