Excellent Question! Also love these answers for strengths, but I don't see anybody saying what weaknesses they'd hold back.
My primary one is trying to curb my mouth before my brain kicks into gear! (Also known as TEMPER !)
KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!
Use the word no when necessary!
Remember, balance is the key to maintaining some level of (dare I say it) sanity. (Somebody let me know when they find out what that is/ :roll :chuckle !) This has been a really hard lesson for me to learn!
Okay, so I didn't exactly read the question right. What I meant was, lack of confidence in your abilities will really impede one's professionalism and function. From this stems all of the things I just yammered about up above.
I spent 32 years as a nurse and love my profession.I retired at 51 to pursue other interests, missed nursing terribly but now I write about it, and have three sisters to help through the bad days. So I am always a nurse. I am quick to anger, and that is something I am not proud of.But in all those years of nursing I never, ever, said a mean thing to a patient, and that I AM PROUD OF ++! Even the night the man peed all over me from head to toe, on purpose, I did not lose it.I said "You, sir, are rude!" and left the room to get a shower. That story will be told in the little hospital I worked in for years to come. I don't know how I did it, but I did not ever lose it with a patient.
I believe a good nurse is one who wants to be one! I see some many whom hate their jobs. The biggest strength a nurse can have is brains the weakest is being without one! A sense of humor, ability to be flexible, think before you act or speak, appreicate all your staff. Enjoying your job...have fun...with your co-worker, patients & even Dr's!!!!!!
I totally think you have to be a people person and able to roll with the punches mentally and physically.(lol) I also believe you have to have the heart for being a nurse and not take things seriously all the time. We generally have to put ourselves in the patients shoes they don't want to be in the hospital and nost of the time they are pissed about that and not upset with you it just you're the one who has to catch it!!! These are just my thoughts hope they help.
I believe the qualities that make a nurse tops is dedication and compassion. There are alot of nurses who seem to lack the basic need of compassion. We deal with a diverse population, and need to be very caring aswell as have the ability to be patient enough to be a good listener to those we care for.
!) superstrength sense of humour
2) 10 gallon bladder capacity
3) ability to improvise and create a cardiac crash cart out of three rubber bands 2 paper clips and a 9 volt battery
4) Pain free feet and legs
5) Ability to multitask ( minimum 10 maximum - has not been reached yet!!!)
6) Ability to be polite to a DDDF ( down and dirty dope fiend) with a force five BO problem and visible parasites looking for new hosts to explore
7) The ability to see beyond the problem to the person within - empathy
8) With empathy - telepathy so you can actually work out what the doc's REALLY want
9) ability to decipher runes and doctors handwriting - same thing
10) Ability to care, about your patients, your colleagues and co-workers and yourself