Nursing as a second careerRegister Today!
- by ninas Feb 2, '04I'd like to hear from people who have chosen nursing as a second career. What makes nursing attractive to a mature adult with work experience in other areas? Did you think about nursing the first time around?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=56238©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,485 Views
- Feb 2, '04 by RNPATLOriginally posted by ninas
I'd like to hear from people who have chosen nursing as a second career. What makes nursing attractive to a mature adult with work experience in other areas? Did you think about nursing the first time around?
Are you considering a change in your career direction?
- Feb 8, '04 by orrnloriI was in banking for 20 years before I went to school to become a nurse. I've been an RN now for almost 6 years. I chose nursing because I could get the license with about 2 1/2 years of classes, there was (and still is) a shortage, and they can't figure out a way to replace us with computers, and because I could earn about the same amount of money. The flexibility of hours appealed to me, this is a double edged sword, however. The hours can suck (sorry to be so indelicate) especially when just starting out.
I knew I would never be a touchy-feely type nurse because I'm not a touchy-feely person, I don't like bedside nursing. I work in the OR, like the technology, the team work, and the fact I only have one patient to worry about at any given moment. Had I not gotten into the OR on my first try I doubt I would still be a nurse.
- Feb 8, '04 by traumaRUsI was in public relations for 10 years before becoming a nurse. Been a nurse now 12 years. Love the flexibility, chance to do something different and to help people..
- Feb 8, '04 by Ufuoma OkomeI choose nursing as a second career because I felt that my present job was going nowhere. I have a B.S and am making much less than $40,000 .If I graduate with an associate degree in nursing with an RN licence I believe I will be making much more than this . I also like the fact that with nursing you can basically choose the shedule you want to work .I also truly believe that I may be able to make a difference to my patients in some way or the other.
- Feb 19, '04 by javagirlQuote from Ufuoma OkomeI also like the fact that with nursing you can basically choose the shedule you want to work ..
You can choose your schedule? Seems like it's all nights and weekends as a newbie..... :imbar