Career GuidanceRegister Today!
- by ogerpus Dec 10, '12I am in need of a little guidance in my nursing career.
I have been an RN for a few years, and have worked in a variety of settings (Med-Surg, Ortho, Rehab, Hospice). I was an LPN first, so I was able to spend some time working in various area as I completed my RN education.
I am currently employed in an Ortho/Rehab capacity. While I enjoy the time spent with patients in these settings, I also find it mind-numbingly boring! I also feel my overall skills have diminished in these settings.
Before I was an nurse, I worked in Law Enforcement and was also an Army Medic with combat experience. And honestly I greatly miss the adrenaline and team work in a high stress setting (probably a little sick, I know).
I am considering a move to either the ER or ICU. I am relatively familiar with the mission and day to day operations of both entities. Any input on which area to choose and why?
I greatly appreciate your time and patience with my verbosity :-)
- Dec 10, '12 by AltraYou might like emergency nursing. See if you can shadow an ER nurse for 4 or 8 hours. If at all possible, make the time between 11am and midnight -- 7am just really doesn't accurately represent what the ER can be like as the day builds. Good luck to you.
- Dec 10, '12 by ogerpusI am definitely leaning towards ER, as it seems like a custom fit for my background. I don't really want to work with sick/injured kids, but I guess it comes with the territory!
- Dec 11, '12 by HouTxAgree with Altra - shadowing would be a good move.
Also - start racking up some certifications. EKG (including 12 lead), hemodynamics, ACLS, ATLS, etc. Those are pretty much required for the specialty area you are seeking. It would demonstrate your commitment & be very impressive to a hiring manager.
- Dec 14, '12 by msjchuckI didnt want to work with sick kids either thats why I choose adult ICU and later Surgical Trauma ICU-if you want an ADRENALINE rush
no make that (rushes) :-) then you won't be disappointed-and if you are at a large teaching inner city hospital take that rush to the 10th
- Dec 15, '12 by ogerpusThanks msjchuck! Good points to consider!