4 quick questions about starting with First Lab
- 0Jan 11, '12 by backtoworkHello old wise sages of the nursing recovery world :bowingpur!!! I am going to register with First Lab this week in compliance with my BON order..so please help if you can.
1) After I register online with First Lab, how long does it usually take before I need to start checking in everyday. I am planning a weekend trip out of state to visit my kids and need to know if I should to allow time in the morning, before my flight, to possibly go and test before I leave.
2) I understand that we need to call in Monday-Friday..No weekends..Is this correct? I will be leaving on a Friday and will return Monday morning to test if my color comes up. No need to call in on weekends,,correct?
3) Why do I read "not to take Benadryl" on this forum. I use this for allergies occasionally..and am wondering why it would be a problem.
4) Can you recommend a ETOH free hand soap and rub in hand sanitizer for me to take to work to use... all the products that the floor provides are ETOH based.
Please help with any and all answers. I want to make sure I make it through this without any mishaps. Thank you wise recovery sages!! nurse::heartbeat
- 5,058 Visits
- 0Jan 11, '12 by TXRN2backtowork: once you register with Firstlab- you start checking in right away- when you register, you should be informed of that at that time. i was told to check in via land line or computer- not a cell phone. and even though you won't get tested on the weekend, you still have to check in every day. meds- basically, don't take anything unless it's prescribed by your doctor- even then, you can download the med list from TPAPN website. some meds cause false positives, etc; others they think might lead to relapse. basically- you can't take much of anything except tylenol, ibuprofen- check the list before taking anything!! i found an alcohol-free hand sanitizer at HEB, but was told at work i could not carry or have my own product, so i used the ETOH based sanitizer- & we use it a lot- never had any problem there. only issue i ever had was a couple of dilute urines- that really freaked me out! best of luck- & welcome to the fun!!
- 0Jan 12, '12 by luvcheUm...we have to call everyday, 365/24/7. Yes.....we get chosen on weekends, too. I have not yet heard of any of my fellow nurses being tested on Sunday. But we have had some Saturdays. We didn't used to hear of anyone getting picked on any weekend until the lab that does the actual testing went from Labcore to CRL. But Firstlab is our administrator and always has been. They not only started testing on Saturdays...but I notice that if you forget to call now, you seem to get picked for testing 2 days later.(after your missed call)
- 0Jan 12, '12 by nowim cleanIt depends onyour state BON it will tell you in your contract that you signed. Im in NC and we only check first lad M-F, no sat or sun check in and our time is 5am -3pm. We do check in on holidays if they fall on a m-f. Of course if you have any questions call you monitoring coordinator at the BON. Good luck.
- 0Jan 17, '12 by iisonuHello Backtowork,
Like others have stated, after checking in, random testing usually starts right away! In LA, we test 7 days per week/365/yr! It's a good idea to check in as early as possible. If you are going out of town, check your list for testing sites. They're located everywhere!
It would also be wise not to take any Benadryl, unless you can prove that it was prescribed by a bonified md. Again, as stated in a previous post, check your BON's list of approved medications. As for the ETOH free hand soap, our facilities provide all ETOH based soaps, but I have not had a problem with using them. Just ensure that when handling your specimen, you clear your hands free of any residue.
Take care, and God bless!
- 0Jan 18, '12 by pplextxI just received my initial RN license with the stipulation that I report to TPAPN because I was in rehab 4 years ago. I called them today, but they have not responded. What should I expect on my first call/visit. Will they test me at that time? If so, is it a urine, blood or hair test?
I am sober, however, I had surgery in October and was under general anesthesia and prescribed Vicodin for the pain. I know this is a big no-no in the sober world, but Tylenol and Motrin just weren't cutting it. Should I admit that usage to TPAPN and if so, will it hurt me?
That's weird about Benedryl. When I was in rehab they would give it to use to sleep, so I occasionally still use it. Should I be worried about that?