a licensed but never practiced nurse

  1. Hi. I'm from the Philippines, I'm a licensed but never practiced nurse. I married my best friend, a Fil-Am last Jan 2014. What documents do I need to bring with me in order to finally work as a nurse in California? Do I need these documents to be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)? Or do I need to go to my schools and the Philippine Regulation Commission (PRC) and order then ask them to mail it directly to the California Board of Nursing? Your insights will be appreciated. Thank you. =)
  2. Visit RNjadee profile page

    About RNjadee

    Joined: May '12; Posts: 5
    from PH


  3. by   inchii
    Your school needs to directly mail the requirements you need from them.
    From the CA BON website:
    All Applicants Must Provide the Following:

    • Appropriate Fees.
    • Completed Application for Licensure by Examination including a U.S. social security number.
    • Completed fingerprints using either the Live Scan Process or the Applicant Fingerprint Card (Hard Card) processing method as directed in the "Instructions for Submitting Fingerprint Cards". Submit the appropriate nonrefundable TOTAL FEE as directed on the Application Fee Schedule.

      NOTE: Application does not include fingerprint cards or live scan form. Fingerprint cards and livescan forms may be requested on the Requests page.
    • One recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph.
    • Completed Request for Accommodation of Disabilities form(s), if applicable.
    • Request for Transcript form(s) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.
    • If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in Section II of the General Information and Instructions.

      • A. Send Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs form to your school with the Request for Transcript form. Also provide the Certified English Translation form to your certified translator if your transcript is not in English. (See Supplemental Application Instructions for International Graduates with the application.)
      • B. Submit a copy of your license or diploma that allows you to practice professional nursing in the country where you were educated. Also, provide copies of your certificates for midwifery and psychiatric nursing, if applicable.
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    Moved to the Nurse Registration forum

    Suggest a read in this forum as there are currently many many issues with being an International nurse and registering with CA
  5. by   loriangel14
    There are many theads on here regarding the difficulties faced by nurses from the Philippines trying to become licensed in CA.