Increase in abusive patients?
- 0Jan 25, '04 by ChicagolandRNIs it just me, or have pt's been more abusive lately?! I had one this week, and I know Tweety was having problems earlier this week too. Now we're being abused in OUR OWN FORUM!!! I have a headache and I need a hug.
- 1,449 Visits
- 0Jan 25, '04 by LoribabbleOh my gosh - I was just thinking the same thing! There must be something in the air! While I work on a small obs unit- 7pts - EVERYONE of them this week was demanding, whiney, agressive, abusive - you name it! We had security/supervisors up more times in one week than I think all of last year. I ended last night with a pt telling me "F*** you - you piece of S***" - all for explaining to him that he needed to keep the HOB up per DR orders and the rationale.... go figure! Nurses were being "fired" left and right (we have a GREAT group - very compassionate and wonderful) -and I wrote up 3 incident reports in 2 nights just to cover my butt if someone DARED to complain...
I left in tears this morning - haven't done that in a LONG time!
- 0ChicagolandRN here's hugs to you.
I've had a rough and stressful week. I'm getting more and more disappointed in management lately, been working overtime, working short staffed and at the same having "customers" act silly.
I try to look underneath people's stress and anger and why they are lashing out at me. Sometimes they have legitimate fears and concerns.
Someone like Doglover may be stressed, tired, and feeling powerless over a situation of his loved one, who was a wonderful man his entire life, who risked his life for his country, and now is in pain and a victum of modern healthcare's failures.
Anger is all around. It's easy to lash out at nurses.
But we have feelings too. We give, give, give and give some more. Only to be continually bombarded.
Sigh...maybe I need a hug too.
- 0hugs to you to Steph....sorry about the stress in your life too.
I got two phone calls asking me to work, that went unanswered on the answering machine. I'm taking three days off to renew and refresh my spirit. I'm not good to anyone in this state of mind. I'll be fine by Tuesday night when I return. We've got two more nurses starting next week!!!
- 0Jan 25, '04 by fergus51I am with all you guys! I find it a lot more stressful now that I am in the NICU, cause we are sometimes stuck with difficult or rude parents for MONTHS (not to mention some of the nurses)!! I am seriously thinking about going back to L&D. It's just as stressful sometimes, but at least those people leave!!!