Should we consider Charlotte?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Should we consider Charlotte? in North Carolina Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... Hi! My family is relocating next year to North Carolina. We flew out in March to check out the...by weluv3 Jun 18, '11Hi! My family is relocating next year to North Carolina. We flew out in March to check out the Raleigh area and loved it. I am RN bound (finishing up my pre reqs and will be done with the bulk of them this December). My undergrad cum GPA (yes, already have a BA in a non nursing field) is 2.96....so a bit low to be competitive for the accelerated programs.
Anyways, my question is, if you live in Charlotte do you love it? Should I consider moving my family there instead of the Raleigh area? How are the nursing opportunities in Charlotte as opposed to Raleigh? Figure since we've got at least another 5 months before moving I should investigate other options too. And schools....
Thanks so much!!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=580469©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,739 Views
- Jun 19, '11 by canesdukegirlHey Michelle,
I have heard wonderful things about CMC, if that is where you are looking to apply for a job. They have the financial backing to keep their salaries competitive, and they have lots of nice things. I have not heard one bad thing about CMC.
There are several hospitals within a reasonable distance from each other if you decide to move to Raleigh. I think you would be happy at either place, honestly.
Let me know if you have specific questions. Good luck, honey!
- Jun 19, '11 by weluv3Thanks!
- Jun 29, '11 by cindyb2010I live in Charlotte and love the city but I think its only fair to tell you that the new grad market here is so saturated. It was really tough to find a job after graduation. I graduated this last December and found a job in February. I was really lucky to find my job so quick but it is in a hospital about 30 minutes outside of Charlotte. I know of some people who I gratuated with who still don't have jobs. Good luck
- Jun 30, '11 by MatanongThis thread seems to be very helpful for me, too. I am planning to move to North Carolina, too, to be near with relatives. I worked 2 years in California. My family just visited North Carolina and we loved it. There are just 2 questions in my mind that deters our final decision. Can someone shed light on how much a nurse earns there? And what is the nurse to patient ratio?
I am planning to apply in CMC and am glad to hear good things about the facility. How about the Presbyterian Hospital in Huntersville? Is Huntersville a good place to live in?
- Sep 10, '11 by missna4uHey there I know I'm a bit late with this post but I wanted to chime in. I'm orginally from South Florida and I hate it here. I moved to Charlotte back in Feb 2010. I applied to about 243 jobs in total to CMC, from 2009 until I got hired at CMC Northeast Aug. 2010. I LOVED that place, Charlotte and the CMC healthcare. It is by far the best hospital system I've worked for. I had to move back to Fla. Oct.2010, only 2 months at Northeast because of conflicts with my hours and daycare hours. Can you say devastated??? Even my kids miss it. Everyday they ask when we're moving back. So I'm just hoping that when i finish the program (Feb.2013) God shines a light on me again and allows me to move back there with a job in tow. My opinion, make a move there, if you haven't already. You won't regret it.
- Sep 15, '11 by CharlotteNurselook at carolina's medical center and presbyterian, there are always openings online you just have to put out a ton of applications and see what sticks.i woked at cmc starting pay for me with 1 1/2 yrs experience was around $21/hr. nights $4 and we $3 shift diff. i now work in a doctor's office 9-5 and love that. also if you need help with housing my husband is a realtor and can help you guys find a place once you get settled in.
carolinas healthcare system
- Sep 21, '11 by canteloupeRNhello missna4u, can you pm me. I just moved to NC from NY as a new grad RN. I would like to ask you somethings regarding the childcare issue while working CMC
- Oct 23, '11 by missna4uHey canteloupeRN, sorry I took so long to answer back. I don't think I can pm anyone. I guess it's time to upgrade(i'm still kinda new here). But if you'd like, I can answer the questions on the here......
- Oct 27, '11 by MsDiva812Quote from canteloupeRNI have the same concerns. In order to find a job, I am moving to NC in 6 months. I don't know where to start, but I know this is the right move for me and my family.hello missna4u, can you pm me. I just moved to NC from NY as a new grad RN. I would like to ask you somethings regarding the childcare issue while working CMC