- by Teshiee Jul 29, '02Could anyone tell me the formula in calculating IV +PO? Thanks :-)
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=19935©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,413 Views
- Jul 29, '02 by dawnglovesHey Teshiee! Long time no see! Not sure I understand what you need. Are you looking for a formula for changing an IV med to PO?
- Jul 29, '02 by cguzowskiWhen in doubt, check it out. Call the MD to change the order from IV to po. You have way to many responsibilities as it is to play pharmacist!
- Jul 29, '02 by NicuGalSome meds convert over without any change, others need to be a percentage, such as Theo to Aminoph. But, all meds have to be rewritten, not just...change to PO, they have to be a new order.
- Jul 29, '02 by prmenrsI think she's talking about when a babies feeding is advancing, and the RN is trying wean the IV fluids.
Again, I would request an order, but if you know how much fluids/kg the docs want that day, you can calculate it.
Example: they want 100cc/k/d, the kiddo weighs 1500gms=150cc in 24hrs. IV rate=6.3cc (rounded off). If you're feeding q3h, that's 18.5q3h. The baby gets 4cc gavage fdg, 18.5minus 4 divided by 3=hourly rate. I came up w/ 4.9cc. When you increase the feeding, recalculate.
I HOPE that's what your asking!!
- Jul 29, '02 by TeshieeThanks guys for your input. prmenrs you hit it right on the money. When the docs would write the order it would say increase feeding to such and such and decrease iv with each successful feeding. Now it is this IV+PO it is pretty easy once you know the formula. Well thanks again. How is everyone doing? I notice it has been slow in the inland empire where I reside but you know how Nicu just when you think it is slowing down it picks up right away.
- Jul 30, '02 by dawnglovesOooooo! OK!
I do what prmenrs does except I just divide the q 3 volume by 3 and subtract it from the hourly fluid rate.
- Jul 30, '02 by Teshieeyeah i think there is like two ways to do it. thanks again guys!!!