Co-Bedding Multiples: Do you have a unit policy on this?Register Today!
- by NICU_Nurse Sep 18, '02Hello,
I am attempting to develop a 'theoretical' unit policy for co-bedding multiples, and am having difficulty substantiating research I've found, etc. I have never in my life written a unit policy before, and I'm wondering if any of your units allow this, and how exactly the policy is worded? If you could PLEASE clue me in, I'd be tremendously grateful!!! If you have one, would you mind sending me a copy or posting it here? I know, I know, it might be a bit of a pain, but PLEASE hep a po' girl out!! I would really like to see this encouraged on our unit- Any ideas? Thanks!!!Last edit by NICU_Nurse on Dec 2, '02
- 1,861 Views
- Sep 23, '02 by dawnglovesKristi, I addressed this a while back
HTH! I wish we would do this at our facility!
- Sep 23, '02 by NicuGalI'll have to look and see if we have a policy yet...we have been doing it for a while now
- Sep 24, '02 by NICU_NurseOh, please do!!! I ordered a back issue of a journal for more information, but I really have not been able to find much! I read that thread mentioned above, but let me reiterate that I have never written a policy before, and don't know jack about what to and what not to include. This would be a first for our hospital, and as usual, the powers-that-be have basically hemmed and hawed because even THEY don't know how it should be written. It has fallen into my lap because I became known as a bit of an advocate, and I'm lost!! In that thread, so many nurses mentioned that they do this, but what I need is an example of a policy to base ours on. Anything that you can do would be appreciated. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed here. ;>)
- Oct 3, '02 by BBnurse34We cobed whenever possible. If twins are in an isolette, it is set for the colder twind temperature.
- Nov 4, '02 by BBnurse34Bedding of Twins/Multiples Together
1.1 It is the policy of St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center to provide a safe and nurturing atmosphere for the infants in the Neonatal ICU. Bedding of twins/multiples together may enhance their well being and may be done under the following guidlines.
2.1 Attending physician and parental consent must be obtained.
2.2 Each infant will have its own designated space with a crib/isolette available.
2.3 Twins/multiples may be co-bedded when stability occurs; e.g. infants have temp stability, central lines out or not being treated for active infectious process, not on a ventilator or CPAP
2.4 The infants will remain together until discharge unless one or the other develops signs of sepsis.
2.5 Each twin/multiple will wear an ID band at all times while bedding together.
2.6 All equipment, charts, IV tubing will be labeled with each infants name and ID label.
2.7 Twins/multiples can be placed side-by-side in the same isolette/crib.
2.8 When on the Servo mode, the temperature probe will be placed on the smaller twin/multiple.