Columbia University ETP Program 2013 - page 4
by ARickli 119,735 Views | 392 Comments
The thread here for the Columbia University ETP program for entry in 2012 is pretty long (45 pages right now!), so I was hoping to elicit some of the same responses for those who are applying in 2013. Let's get to know each... Read More
- 0Sep 5, '12 by hollysfHi ARickli, I am also nearly done with my application! I am meeting with my recommenders one last time and I have GRE's planned for September 15th. I'm a little worried that I planned them too late but I am sure my scores will make it there in time. I am feeling so nervous about my personal statement. I wonder if anyone ever feels 100% satisfied with these things?What other schools are people applying to? I still don't have my list finalized and the deadlines are creeping up! Ah!Anyways, good luck everyone!
- 0Sep 11, '12 by PNPhopefulHi everyone!
I am also currently applying to Columbia ETP hoping to specialize in pediatrics with oncology. Has anybody heard about the competitiveness of this particular specialty? This is my first school I am applying to and I am a nervous wreck!! I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry last year and with personal family problems, the rigor of biochem, and my devotion to other extracurriculars, I graduated with with a sad, sad GPA.However, I feel very confident in all other aspects. I have a ton of research, volunteer, and work experience as well as wonderful LORs. I'm also taking the GRE on the 17th so I hope all that combined will somehow show that I am more than just my GPA. I feel so passionate about the field but feel like I'll never get a chance to pursue it due to my GPA However, I feel like Columbia is the perfect school for me and I'm so scared of being rejected. I'm currently finishing up two prereqs this semester and will be done in December. That leaves one more to finish in the spring. So far I've had all As and one B in the prereqs so I hope this will show my willingness for success.
Does anybody know whether or not applying while having 3 pending classes is even worth it? Will a low undergrad GPA be one of the major determining factors? I really don't want to wait another year to apply and I don't want this opportunity to slip away.
I'm excited to share this experience with you all! Good luck to us all and here's to lots of success with the application process!
- 0Sep 11, '12 by hollysfHi PNPhopeful,
I definitely think you should apply! Columbia does a wonderful job at looking at the applicant holistically. I would say you should try and do as well as you can on the GRE, write a stellar personal statement and find recommenders who can speak to your readiness for graduate school.
Are you applying anywhere else?
- 0Hi hollysf,
Thank you so much for the encouragement =) I have heard great things about Columbia's holistic approach to their applicant selection, which is another reason I really have my heart set there. For now, I am also considering MGH and UMass in Boston. My ultimate goal is to become a pediatric nurse practitioner so entry MSN programs which offer the peds specialty seem most time efficient for me. However, I'm definitely not opposed to gaining some experience as a floor nurse first, so I'm also considering some accelerated BSN programs. Which other schools are you applying to?
I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming GRE! =)
- 0Sep 12, '12 by hollysfThank you PNPhopeful!I am applying to Columbia, Yale, U Penn, JHU, Vanderbilt, Boston College (WHNP), and OHSU. Columbia is far and away my first choice, and Yale is a strong second. I do worry about Columbia not holding interviews, but I suppose I should be happy that I won't have to spend money on a flight to NYC. Are you applying early decision?
- 0Hey Holly,
Those are all wonderful schools! I was also surprised that they don't hold interviews, and that makes me a little more nervous. You know, I was confused about the early decision/regular deadline because I was under the impression that there's one deadline, yet in the app, they talk about the option of early decision. So I gave them a call yesterday and they said there's no such thing as early decision anymore. Apparently the information in the app is outdated and the only deadline is October 15.
Also, when I was going through the application, I noticed that there is no section to input grades or classes. Am I missing it? I find it strange that they would have to go through a huge transcript (maybe even more than one) to look for specific classes/grades.
- 0Sep 22, '12 by lifeismuzikHey All!
I was thinking of applying for the psych route but I have decided to do the primary care FNP route. You can always change after you do your rotations in the program (except for changing into the WH and CRNA...those you cannot switch into)
Three questions for you all!
1) I cant trim 90 words from my statement...it is just over 2 pages. How much do you think I should sweat it?
2) I am taking the GRE this week...will get it in JUST in time before the deadline. On the application, can I put the preliminary score that is given to you at the test center?
3) did anyone get the email that they are giving those who submit the GRE's on time priority? What does that even mean...that they will read them first?
The second is probably a question I should just call about.
Wishing you all the best of luck!