Rutgers Newark prerequisite courses - Page 2Register Today!
- Aug 24, '11 by Dreaming1007Hi, I am currently in the nursing program at Rutgers-Newark so I wanted to give you some insight as to what Cult Dim and HIP entails. Cultural Dimensions is a super easy class that mainly focuses on caring for patients with different cultural backgrounds, for instance knowing that Jehovah's witness don't accept blood transfusions, it was pretty interesting. HIP focuses on communication like everyone said, we had to interview someone for the big paper. Are you going into the accelerated or traditional program?
- Aug 24, '11 by onedayitllbemeHi Dreaming1007, So nice of you to reply. Great to hear from someone in the program. I am not the OP, but I am most likely applying to the Accel Newark program. I have 2 online courses for the fall. a SOC class that transfers for HIP, and Life Span Development, both online at brookdale cc. After that I'll only have the Cultural left which I guess i will challenge out of if I get in. I have a good undergrad GPA in computer science/math (3.83) and a 4.0 on the prereqs, but I don't have any great people to use for a reference since I can't tell my employers about this until I am in, though I do have a mentor and a former manager that I will use. I also do not have health care experience but have done some volunteering at various places every year.
How is the program going? The May-Sept was very challenging I hear? I guess you just started or are you on the traditional track. (my 5 year old asked me to put these smiley faces)
- Sep 13, '11 by 2bEsqtoRNBump. Does anyone in the NJ or NYC area know where I can take some of the prerequisite classes? Can I apply to Rutgers-Newark directly and sign up for some of their classes?
- Sep 13, '11 by heron21I am currently enrolled in the RU Accel program. It is considerably cheaper to take pre-reqs at community colleges, rather than at Rutgers. As long as the credits transfer (check on njtranfer.com for equivalencies before you register), it shouldn't matter where you earned it. I also took a CLEP exam for the Sociology requirement ($77 exam fee, plus book).
Also, I HIGHLY recommend that you plan to complete pre-reqs before starting the program. There is a tentative, very likely, plan to eliminate the challenge tests, with the exception of Cultural. So be prepared. The program only starts in May. The summer semester was tough, but I survived =>
- Sep 14, '11 by 2bEsqtoRNThanks to both of you.
- Jan 3, '12 by niciki24Hi does anyone have a syllabus or isbn number for the book used for HIP at rutgers? I couldn't find the transfer equivalent for this class and would most likely have to test out.
- Jan 4, '12 by heron21The class equivalent for HIP is Interpersonal Communications class which can be taken in any community college. I do not recommend taking the challenge exam. I would email any of the admins for the challenge exam info, including the syllabus and textbook. Good luck.
- Aug 8, '12 by LJ85Quote from onedayitllbemeI took it online fall 2011, with psych 208, a lot of reading with the 2 but worth it to do onlineSoci 105 at brookdale in the fall for human interactive online,
- Aug 8, '12 by LJ85So I am an LPN and I just finished all my Pre reqs for the RN program. I can now take my HESI and try to clep in to the program. I will be transferring to Rutgers eventually, while I wait to get into the nursing program at brookdale I am taking classed toward my BSN that will transfer to Rutgers. Unfortunately the colleges don't always make it a smooth transition and I effectively have no clue what I'm doing. I picked up a Spanish 1 class and stats this fall, I don't know what any of the electives are that I need to take it what computer class?? Help :-/