Job search bluesRegister Today!
- by mmm cdiff Nov 30, '11I have sent out 311 applications to jobs throughout NJ, PA, and NY. This includes emails, online applications, faxes, and mail-out resumes. From this, I have only gotten two interviews. That's under one percent.
I've really had it. I'm depressed. I don't know how much longer I can keep searching for a job in nursing. I'm so sick of hearing, "Have you tried nursing homes?" YES! I HAVE TRIED NURSING HOMES. Not just nursing homes, but correctional facilities, psychiatric hospitals, doctor's offices, urgent cares, home care, corporate facilities... everything! I've had three different people review my resume and cover letters. I have six different cover letters for all sorts of different specialties (pediatric cover letter, a cover letter tailored to the facility where I work as a nursing assistant, out-of-state cover letters...) I'm certified in ACLS, IV therapy, and did a Basic Arrhythmia class. I thought maybe because I'd be saving some floor SOMEWHERE that much money, I'd get a call back for an interview. Nothing!
I worked my ass off for two years as a nursing assistant and was rejected from an interview I had with them. I even went to Shared Governance meetings and participated in them. I gave so much time and effort to that unit for nothing in return.
And this isn't to mention that my mother is also a nurse (who graduated in 1988), who likes to frequently tell me that she got a job right out of school and I'm probably not doing something right.
Sorry, no one likes reading these job search threads, but I really just can't take it anymore.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=647561©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,478 Views
- Dec 4, '11 by KATRN78I hear ya!
- Dec 8, '11 by mena09Try working for an agency... they might hire you.. hey you have to start somewhere.. so try there.... homecare....
- Dec 8, '11 by mmm cdiffHome care wants experience, and agencies don't provide an orientation. I'm a recent graduate with 0 RN experience.
- Dec 8, '11 by RNDude100Volunteer your time.
- Dec 9, '11 by mena09not true about 80% of my class started out in homecare including myself... and they do give orientation on each new case you start at..... then you decide if you want to take the case or not....
- Dec 9, '11 by KATRN78Mmm Cdiff, what part of NJ are you located?
- Dec 10, '11 by xxryu139xxtry star pediatrics they accept new grads from what i've been told by a fellow orientee. there are also some nursing homes that only accept in person applications, u may want to try hunting those down.
also if ur mom has been a nurse for so long, why don't she use her connections to get u into a facility. its no longer about the credentials that u possess, its all about the people u know.
- Dec 11, '11 by mmm cdiffI live in northern Jersey. I applied to Starlight Homecare and their only cases right now involve driving two hours from where I live. I know it's a job and everything, but I can't do that.
What other home care agencies are there besides Starlight that take new grads? Bayada wants a year of experience, and the VNA wants BSNs.
I work as a nursing assistant at the same facility where my mom works. She works in a CCU that will absolutely not accept any new grads; nursing assistants who worked there and graduated from nursing school have gotten jobs on different floors. Every option I can think of has been exhausted.
- Dec 11, '11 by KATRN78Is PSA near you? They hire new grads.