RN License questions regarding Bordering states

  1. I, of course, already paid the money to get my RN license in MN. Today, I get calls from a few Iowa hospitals. I know that with the Border state recognition MN will allows nurses that work in IA, WI, ND, etc to work in MN but I am wondering if, as a MN licensed nurse, will I be able to work in Iowa?

    I tried finding info on the IA board of nursing site but couldn't find an answer. I left a voicemail but still no call back. The reason I am concerned is because I plan on living in MN while working in IA so I will have no IA address to do an endorsement (If I need to go that route).

    Anyone have any idea how this works? Thanks so much in advance!

  2. Visit Magplad profile page

    About Magplad

    Joined: Jan '07; Posts: 7; Likes: 1


  3. by   HM2VikingRN
    It looks like it will have to be by endorsement. The website implies that it can be an out of state address.

    Iowa Board of Nursing
  4. by   lalalalexi
    Iowa and Minnesota have a compact state agreement, so if you have a Minnesota address and license, you can work in Iowa under your MN license. If you were to move to Iowa, then you would need an Iowa license. Hope this helps!
  5. by   lalalalexi
    Actually I just looked into it more, and it appears that Minnesota is NOT a compact state. But I do remember being told during nursing school (in Iowa) that if you live in Iowa and have an Iowa license, you would still be able to work in MN without having to get a Minnesota license. I'm not sure if it's the same going from MN to IA, but you'd think since both states share a fairly large boarder, there must be some kind of agreement.