OCC gen ed?Register Today!
- by QuarterLife88 Jul 11, '10I'm at Oakland Comm College, about to finish my pre-reqs in the fall. I noticed though that there's still two more classes I need that are gen ed for the associates degree that I was going to do in the winter while waiting on my letter (a math class, and a humanties class). I would have finished my 11 required pre-req classes already though. Will I be rejected because the gen ed weren't completely finished though? they never said anything about them at the meeting. Also, I mean higher level math, not the math like 1100 that I know was required from either high school with a C or better or bio or chem. Those ARE done. I strictly mean gen ed.
- Jul 11, '10 by Anne36You will have all the classes that they use to consider the GPA? I thought that if you had the classes done required to apply that you were considered based on your GPA and then only on additional classes after that if there was a tie breaker.
- Jul 11, '10 by QuarterLife88Quote from Anne36Yup, Anne, all of the 11 required that they want will be completed this fall when I apply. I was just nervous that since it's an associate degree (the entire package) that they might not accept me if all of my gen ed classes (which are needed for any degree) aren't done yet, and I was planning to finish my math credits/humanities credit in the winter when I have nothing left to do but wait. I'm just nervous right now. I made an appointment with a counselor but...*bites nails*You will have all the classes that they use to consider the GPA? I thought that if you had the classes done required to apply that you were considered based on your GPA and then only on additional classes after that if there was a tie breaker.
- Jul 12, '10 by jazznjacI think you'll be OK, as long as you have one fine arts/humanities to satisfy the prereqs for the program. Too funny, I was just looking over that requirements flier reading all the fine print just to make sure I was OK too! Are you going to see a counselor at Highland Lakes? If so, they can also start your 'checklist' while you're there. What do they do about the classes we're finishing in the fall (that don't end until Dec. 20)?? Will they wait the 5 days for the grades to come in?
- Jul 13, '10 by Househead4lifeThe nursing dept will not start looking at our applications until the fall grades have been posted. I know because I went through the pain last application period.
- Jul 13, '10 by jazznjacAny suggestions for making it easier on them? Do I need to get a 'progress report' or anything prior to the Dec. 15 deadline?
- Jul 13, '10 by Househead4lifeNo jazznjac there is nothing for you to do but try for an A in your classes. The nursing dept handles everything, they had well over 700 apps last term to look at and they really do not want to hear from us trust me. I fell .003 short on my gpa for the 2010 start so this will be my second go at it. Every grade that they use comes from our official OCC records.
- Jul 30, '10 by suzyMHi,
I will be starting my first year in the nursing program at OCC in the fall. The requirements are on the OCC website and DO include humanities (3 credits) and a Phys Ed (1 credit) as well as High school prerequisits; Algebra(MAT 1100, BIO 1511 and Chem 1000. You can be registered for these classed in the fall and still apply on December 15. You also MUST see a counsler to do an "official checklist" before you apply.