Oakland University New Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN Program
- 0Jun 5, '04 by TLC RNJust an FYI...Oakland University is starting a new second degree 12 month BSN program. They are starting informational meetings about the new program slated to start May 05 the end of this month.
Not much info on the site yet...
- 8,497 Views
- 0Jun 22, '04 by SafeTmanMore information regarding the program.
- 0Oct 3, '04 by Ms.RNQuote from tootyx121i am really interesting in ou's accelerated nursing program. does anyone here know how many students this nursing school is accepting to this acclerated program? is it very competitive to get into this program? did anyone here had interview with faculty? i'm interested in talking to someone who has started application process or has been accepted into the program.just an fyi...oakland university is starting a new second degree 12 month bsn program. they are starting informational meetings about the new program slated to start may 05 the end of this month.
not much info on the site yet...
fyi, to get into ou's accelerated program, you need to take few nursing classes which are pathophysiology, pharmacology and nutrition in addition to pre-requisite classes for nursing which are chemistry, biology, psychology etc before you start your nursing program.
- 0Dec 14, '04 by JazzyOneRNQuote from Tootyx121Hi tooty, Congrats on your acceptance. I tried to get in for May of 05, but I had to drop one the chemistry classes that I was taking this fall so I am all set to reapply for 06. Could you tell me what are some of the questions that they ask you at the interview and what is the interviewing process like. I did submit a 500 word goal statement, but I couldnt interview until I completed the chemistry and apply as a second degree student to OU. Could you tell me do they ask you about your grades in the sciences course you took in undergrad such as A&P and chemistry. Overall, could you tell me is GPA the end all be all. How many students will there be in the May 05 class.Thanks
In January I take the last three prereqs and start the nursing program in May. I can't wait Make sure you check in on us students since you will be all done when I start!
Again I wish you much success in the program and you have my blessing to excell and do well in the program. Hopefully you can give me some incite into whats going on throughout your time in the program.
- 0Dec 16, '04 by TLC RNThank you christinajoy!
I think I was one of the first group of people interviewed for the program so my interview was pretty low key. They basically want to know if you can handle the rigors of an intense program. I had talked to the person doing the interview before at an open house so she had a good idea I was prepared for the program. We ended up chatting about her career. The couple other people I know who interviewed said it was a little more formal but the idea was the same..."can you handle the program."
They accept 50 people for the program. They did not think this year would be as competitive as it will be in the future. They are like Wayne in that they base your entrance on GPA in prereq classes. They also see if you do ok in the interview and your goal statement. I lucked out because I had all my prereqs done in August so I could interview immediately so I was able to get in with a 3.3 in my prereqs. If I had not been finished I would have had to repeat two classes I got B's in to make sure I had a higher GPA. I think GPA in prereqs is a big part of the picture for them. I got the impression that they feel the gpa will be higher next year and I have to agree.
I know they offer rolling admissions so as soon as you finish that Chem class you should be good to interview and get an answer soon after
Feel free to keep in touch. I would be glad to help you in anyway I can Good luck!
- 0Jan 4, '05 by JazzyOneRNHi Tooty,
Happy New Year to you. Im sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with a reply, but the holidays and all the chaos it brings prohibited me from responding sooner. Thanks for the reply it was very helpful and I am taking the second chemistry this term and Ive decided to retake A&P1 and 2 and Microbiology in Summer 1 and Summer 2 at Oakland community this summer because I received 2c's and a b in those courses and I want to increase my gpa so it could increase my chances of getting accepted into the program in May of 06. I do plan to apply to Wayne State and University of Detroit Mercy accelerated programs for 06, but Im really hoping I could get into OU because of the cost, its much cheaper than Wayne and especially cheaper than U of D and I like the campus at OU as well.
Good luck in the pharmacology, pathophys and Nutrition this term Im sure you will do exceptionally well in all 3 courses. I was reading some of your previous postings on the boards and you come across as being very dedicated and ambitious and have your heart set on becoming a nurse. I give you big ups on going to school full time and being a single parent. You deserve much praise for that. I would like for us to keep in contact, you could motivate me or be a mentor to me because going through this process can be disheartening especially with the prereq courses.
Hope to hear from you soon.