Latest Likes For loricatus

loricatus 11,430 Views

Joined: Sep 17, '05; Posts: 2,007 (46% Liked) ; Likes: 2,268

Sorted By Last Like Received (Max 500)
  • Sep 23 '17

    Don't think the CEN without the experience will help you get the job. Joining the ENA would probably do you better when looking for an ER job because it will demonstrate an genuine interest in that specialty. Try to go to chapter meetings and make your face known. It wouldn't hurt to show up to at the ED where some of those nurses work (the ones that you meet at the chapter meetings) and find the back door approach to landing a job in the ER.

  • Jul 17 '17

    It sure sounds like a mental disorder and should be treated as such. In addition, from what you describe, there seems to be codependence problems there also, which are common when dealing with a mental disorder. Not sure what a nursing home can do for her; but, a psychaitric facility may be of help.

  • May 14 '17

    It would depend on what you are looking for.

    Parkland is a county hospital with a world class rep. If you what to learn hard core nursing, then this is the place to go. Not a designer hospital and a lot of poor clientele. What you will learn in two years there, might take 5-10 elsewhere. Plus, you can write your ticket anywhere else if you have Parkland on your resume.

    Baylor is more of an upper crust type of environment. There is a saying around here about the Baylor Hospitals: "It's the Baylor Way or the Highway." My BIL works for them in recruiting, so I do know some insider things; but, as a nurse, you can thrive if you fit the mold. You will learn a lot if you are going to Big Baylor (Dallas); but, the other Baylors are more like a community hospital with all the politics that go along with small town thinking. I did clinicals at their (Big Baylor) NICU and enjoyed it. You will get congierge services and great dining options at Baylor, where the most gourmet thing you will find at Parkland is a Big Mac.

    Why don't you take a weekend and come to Dallas to just look around at both hospitals, then decide.

  • Mar 27 '17

    I was disappointed in UTA since they rely on their reputation (build from word of mouth and hobb nobbing). When I went looking for my first job after graduating from there, I was told by hospital recruiters that the grads from UTA are the least qualified because the actual nurse training was so poor. However, I have heard that they had to change the program and now have a capstone that can allow a GN to at least know something upon graduating. The majority of my graduating class never got to start an IV or work a pump, so the hospitals that hired us basically had to train us from scratch. But, I did learn how to write some mean 20 page papers on community health, geratrics, pediatrics and management, along with brushing up on my performance/acting skills.

  • Mar 9 '17

    Quote from rarjn5
    Thank you for your fast reply. I have actually read everything on Mark H's website. It is great! I found it by accident and was relieved to read answers to some of my "dumb questions" and realized I'm not the only one to wonder about things in the ICU that are never explained. My problem is math, which I'm a little deficit in calculations. This is a totally fictitious problem. Say you have to give a loading dose of Esmolol of 500mcg/kg/min over 10 min. How would you calculate that and what would I set my IV pump at to run the dose over 10 min? What is the math formula to use?

    thank you
    Multiply the 500 mcg by the kg weight of the patient [eg 50 kg pt, 500 x 50 = 25000 mcg/min for that 50 kg pt.]. Then, convert that answer into mg from the mcg by moving the decimal over 3 places to the left [25000 mcg -> 25 mg]. Now you have that patient needing 25 mg/min (IV pumps usually need mg for testing purposes). In 10 minutes the patient would require 250 mg [25 mg/min x 10 min=250 mg). But, IV pumps go by the ml/hour so you will need to know the mg/ml of the esmolol to continue [just cross multiply 250mg/x mL = mg concentration of esmolol/# ml and solve for x]. Remember to multiply the ml (once figured out) by 6 to account for the pump that only knows ml/hr [10 min X 6 =60 minutes=1hour]-by doing this the dose will be delivered over 10 minutes even though the pump says ml/hour