poiu 1,195 Views
Joined: Jun 24, '12;
Posts: 3 (33% Liked)
; Likes: 1
I'm a new grad RN, BSN and I have recently been hired at a large So-Cal hospital. I'm extremely excited and I wanted to share some basic tips about getting hired. First, I want to say that I think things are getting a little better in terms of employment. I've seen a lot more new grad positions opened and some of my fellow classmates have also been offered jobs.
(1) Review your resume a thousand times and have someone else review it as well for spelling and grammar errors.
(2) Make your resume personal. Add an objective 1-3 lines that states not only what you're looking for but also include some descriptive words about yourself.
(3) Include experience with different EMRs and IV pumps on your resume.
(4) Write a cover letter. Include why YOU would be a good fit for the hospital.
(5) Wear a suit to your interview. I know a lot of this may be obvious but I'm listing it just in case. Also, keep your hair pulled back so you don't unintentionally play with it/have to brush it out of your face. Wear minimal make up and no perfume.
(6) Before your interview, review care plans and journals. This will help to jog your memory for past clinical experiences so you have something to draw off of during your interview.
(7) KNOW THE HOSPITAL. By this I mean research their values and mission statement. Explain why it means something to you. Again, I know this seems obvious but the hiring manager who interviewed me told me you would be surprised at how many people do not do this.
(8) Lastly, create a portfolio with your resume, cover letter, LORs, copies of certificates, awards, and degrees. Bring several copies of this with you to the interview. The interviewer may only look at it and hand it back to you but I think it shows how prepared you are and that you put a lot of time and thought into this.
I hope this helps. Please stay positive! It will happen! =)
Newly hired RN, BSN
Nothing over here either... more waiting...
I applied as well. Unfortunately I don't have any info as to the number of people applying or number of open positions, but if I hear something I will be sure to post it!
Crossing my fingers for an interview!
Advertise With Us