Latest Comments by CarryThatWeight

Latest Comments by CarryThatWeight

CarryThatWeight, BSN, RN 5,874 Views

Joined Apr 17, '12 - from 'Texas'. CarryThatWeight is a RN. She has '5' year(s) of experience and specializes in 'Oncology, Mental Health'. Posts: 306 (52% Liked) Likes: 687

Sorted By Last Comment (Past 5 Years)
  • 0

    Quote from floatingribs
    only 40% of pre meds get to med school there really is no second chance besides reapplying and retaking it, so the fact that 60% of pre meds don't matriculate should speak enough that all of them aren't the cream of the crop.
    Nursing school is more lenient with grades definitely but comparing med school which is an M.D. with a BSN are two very different things, but a pre med is an undergrad concentration.


    I'm confused. What does this have to do with my post?

  • 12
    NutmeggeRN, OCNRN63, LadyFree28, and 9 others like this.

    Quote from floatingribs
    That's a very big generalization to make especially since at lots of universities the nursing schools are far more competitive than the generic BS in biology. It is lame that many pre meds use this philosophy and automatically assume all nursing students are far dumber and wouldn't be able to maintain high gpas.

    Also pre meds aren't doing any dosage calculations that's why you don't hear of them... (all it is is just general courses in varying sciences, a pre med concentration isn't even a major and is literally useless if you don't get to med school)
    Well... The Commuter has a point because take a look around on here and how many "I failed the NCLEX five times!!" posts do you see? Not every one of those students are from a for profit school, either. I precept students from a major university with an esteemed nursing program often and just to be frank, a lot of these students are not the sharpest crayon in the box. It boggles my mind.

  • 1
    ICUman likes this.

    That's ridiculous. Why would you have to tell anyone you take any medication, unless it's one that shows up on a drug screen? It's no one's business what medication I take, least of all my school or the board.

  • 6

    Just because this issue isn't unique to nursing, does that mean there isn't a problem? Other people do it too. So what? It's still an issue.

  • 10

    Quote from IVRUS
    What right do you have to tell HER not to share with people? If the OP wants to share, bur then the recipient doesn't want what is being shared, then the receiver can discard the gift. You share your gifts of nursing and the healing arts with others, don't you? If she is prompted to share this GOOD news, then don't discourage her, Let her share. When Jehovah Witnesses come to my door, I know that they sincerely want to share their views with me.. and therefore, I am hospitable to them as a fellow human being. It is very sad that some of the most intolerant people are those who can't stand it when someone mentions Christ.
    When you "share," you put people on the spot and it makes them uncomfortable. When you hand them a gift--and they don't even know you--that is awkward and uncomfortable. I for one resent people who put me on the spot. I have had several patients ask me straight out if I know Jesus. In my area, the majority of people ascribe to Christianity, so it's not unusual, but that doesn't make "sharing" acceptable behavior. I do believe in God but even so I find this very off putting. What I believe is none of your business. And I don't want to buy your Avon either.

  • 7

    Quote from jkoulakani
    I am officially closing this discussion and I no longer want to be a nurse, thanks for the input guys.
    If you are so sensitive to be offended by this relatively gentle, straightforward info, you'll never make it as a nurse. Sorry to say. You asked for information, you got it. I'm not sure why you're so upset.

  • 1
    HopefulRN7 likes this.

    I had a really hard time adjusting when I was a new grad in oncology. It is a tough speciality. I can imagine it is even more so when you have parents involved. I went through a period of depression for sure. It is hard to see hope, especially when all you see is suffering and death. You eventually get "used" to it. It never gets easy but it is so rewarding. Oncology patients are the best patients, by far (in my opinion). Even though our patients become family (at my job anyway) and we grieve when they die, it is worth it for me. Maybe you just need to give yourself time. I was feeling pretty burned out a while back but then I got a second wind somehow. It is also possible that this specialty is not for you, especially since you mentioned ER where there is less of a relationship formed between the staff and patients. I think you will find your way. One day at a time.

  • 5

    Maybe I'm missing it, but you didn't really say WHY you're unhappy with your job. Is it just that the caseload is too big? Because if that's it, it will be the same if not worse in nursing. The patients are very sick and no matter what you do, it's never enough and people aren't happy. You simply can't be in more than one place at a time but you are expected to. And have all your meds done on time.

    My speech language pathologist when I was in school was the best. She saved me from a lifetime of embarrassment over not being able to pronounce things correctly. She made it fun and that small portion of the day was my favorite!

  • 4

    Do you mean "schizoaffective disorder?"

  • 1
    CountryMomma likes this.

    Quote from cindy_rn456
    I

    Susie2310, I don't see how you've assumed that from my posts (when I've said that at my place of employment, I've witnessed seasoned nurses kill 3 patients in one night due to insulin overdoses for patients who weren't even diabetic!!! And were NOT reported!!!)

    I suggest you keep an open mind cause the world isn't always black and white. Leave room for some grey areas and be thankful that in your 20 years no ones ever reported your mistakes.
    I call xx

  • 3
    AliceTrout, elkpark, and LadyFree28 like this.

    What I don't understand is how this mistake happened. If she gave this drug all the time, shouldn't she know the amount to draw up? Without even thinking about it? For example, I give Ativan all the time. I know that 1 mg is 0.5 ml. How did she draw up 10 times the amount and not notice that it didn't look right? If the bottle of calcium was a different strength, more concentrated, wouldn't she have noticed that the bottle looked different than usual?

  • 1
    badcompany likes this.

    Quote from TakeTwoAspirin
    The exclamation mark at the end of that sentence was supposed to give the reader a clue that the post was tongue-in-cheek.

    You can extrapolate meaning, misinterpret, and put as many words into my mouth as you want. Anyone who actually reads my post, without trying to put spin on it or read it with a chip on their shoulder, can parse out that my post was actually a dig at surgeon in question. But hey, go ahead and be enraged if that's what makes you happy.
    You still have yet to offer the OP any advice - which is what he/she asked for.

    OP, I would not let this go. I think you're doing the right thing by going up the chain of command. Let's not make excuses for people because they might be good at what they do.

  • 5
    LovedRN, Irish_Mist, elizzyRN, and 2 others like this.

    By the way, "inversely proportional" means that as one goes up, the other goes down. So the better the surgeon, the worse the people skills. If you were intending to say that the surgeons with poor surgical skills tend to have poor people skills, the phrase you needed would have been "directly proportional." Please think carefully before posting.

  • 15
    LovedRN, Happyful, Nurse Leigh, and 12 others like this.

    Quote from TakeTwoAspirin
    I never said that the OP should accept the behavior If you read my post again, I am saying that in my experience the worse surgeons are normally the meanest - most likely secondary to their overcompensation for what they perceive as their own inadequacies. I never once said it was OK for her to be treated this way. Please read posts more carefully before shooting off indignant responses.
    I believe you said "be kind to them. They are doing the best they can!" No, they are NOT doing the best they can. And "being kind" to them without suggesting OP take any other course of action - that is advocating acceptance of the behavior. Your only advice is to be kind when someone verbally abuses you? Might as well thank the surgeons too, for their "honesty."

  • 25
    LovedRN, 907katie, AKYogini, and 22 others like this.

    Quote from TakeTwoAspirin
    In my years in the OR I have noticed a pattern with mean surgeons: the amount of talent they have as a surgeon is usually directly inversely proportional to their bad attitude. Be kind to them. They are doing the best they can!
    No. Just no. Just because they are good surgeons does NOT mean that the OP has to accept unacceptable behavior. That is clearly NOT the best they can do.


close
close