Joining y'allRegister Today!
- by NC4RN Nov 6, '12Hey! I just got a sparkly new job on a med-surg/TELE floor and I am STOKED! I graduated in May and have been working in LTC since June, but have had my heart set on a med-surg job since I started school. Any advice, or anything else to get me prepped for my job would be so appreciated, I start November 19th with orientation. Anyhoo, howdy and thanks!
- Nov 6, '12 by hecallsmeDuchessCongrats to you! Time management is crucial, the pace is fast on med-surg but there is so much to learn, you'll like it. All the best to you.
- Nov 7, '12 by NC4RNThank you! Having worked in an SNF/LTC with 30+ residents/patients daily for 6 months, I learned how to manage time and prioritize, it may be the only thing I came away with that I will use in my new position, but I'm so happy to be in a hospital environment.
- Nov 7, '12 by PediLove2147Congrats! Good luck and get ready for some crazy days!
- Nov 7, '12 by DeLanaHarvickWannabeI am so happy to meet someone who is excited about MedSurg! Congrats on your new adventure!
You will learn so much, and your skills will NOT go to waste.
My advice is, even on days during which you want to give up, do NOT. Give yourself six months off of orientation and then look back at where you were. I have been a medsurg nurse for six years and I still learn new things and feel overwhelmed at time. The thing is, though, I am NEVER bored!
And also...we ARE a speciality! Don't ever let anyone call you "just a floor nurse!"
You have a great online support system right at your fingertips!
DLast edit by DeLanaHarvickWannabe on Feb 18, '13