MA license/working but living in another state?

  1. Is this allowed? I currently live in MA, am licensed here, and will soon begin working here. However, my boyfriend and I are looking to move in together, and there is a possibility of him working in New Hampshire. It would be easiest for his job, for him/us to reside in NH, but I am wondering if I can even keep a Mass RN license and work here if my address is listed in NH.
    Anyone know? I've poked around a bit on the MA BON site but it is confusing and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.
  2. Visit CaptScrubs13 profile page

    About CaptScrubs13

    Joined: Mar '07; Posts: 187; Likes: 76


  3. by   KelRN215
    Why wouldn't you be able to? You don't need to live in the state you're licensed in. Many hospitals on the North Shore have nurses who commute from New Hampshire just as many hospitals in South Central Mass have nurses who commute from Rhode Island. When I worked at a Boston hospital, I had 2 colleagues who lived in New Hampshire. I have an aunt who moved to Florida several years ago and still keeps her MA license active.
  4. by   CaptScrubs13
    That's just what I wanted to check! I wasn't sure if there was some rule about having to actually reside in the state your license is active in/where you work. Thanks for the info
  5. by   amoLucia
    Lots of nurses (myself included) have multiiple licenses to work in neighboring border states. I live in New Jersey but am 15 minutes from Pennsylvania over the Bridge and I have worked over there. Also, state licensure may be needed for out-of-state schooling (had Delaware) too.

    In fact, it may not be a bad idea for new grads to consider licensure for nearby states and start the process just for future use - I was asked to do private duty in PA right after graduation. Had to decline because no license, so I got one PDQ.
  6. by   AZMOMO2
    I am pretty sure the licence is just about the place that you work... aka use it. If you work in Mass you need to be licensed in Mass... if you work in New Hampshire you need to be licensed there or in another compact state... etc... unlike the drivers license thing :-)
  7. by   CaptScrubs13
    Great, thank you for alleviating my concerns everybody!!