- 0Mar 3, '11 by Nascar nurseI think after all of this time, I am ready to take the leap - I must have finally lost my mind.
Anyways, I have a DON interview tomorrow. I know you all can't help me with the salary because it varies to much around the country, but how much of a % increase do you think I can reasonably ask for from my current ADON salary? I'm thinking 7-10%.
- 1Mar 5, '11 by CapeCodMermaidSo much depends on where you are. I get calls about positions in the Carolinas....sound nice until they tell me the salary is in the high $60's. Texas is around $80,000-90,000, Florida is in the $70's. In Massachusetts, it all depends on which end of the state you're in. It shouldn't just be about the money. I am well paid but the stress is killer. Be ready to give up much of your life and your private time to the facility.
- 2Mar 5, '11 by americanTrainI live in Texas and only get paid 70, but I get quarterly bonuses that are at 10% of salary, so the pay is pretty good. Like last post said, get ready to give up alot of your time. Being a DON is better for someone whos children are grown. Mine is a teen, and it is rough. Now looking, back, I wished I had waited before making that leap. I will keep trying to balance though.
- 0Mar 5, '11 by Nascar nurseThanks for your input. I agree it isn't all about the money, but it is one of the reasons I am thinking of taking the plunge. My kids are 16 & 17 & I'm looking at hefty college bills in the very near future.
I had my first interview Friday. I liked the administrator - she has been at the same facility for several years. Tells me the department head with the least seniority has been there 5 years. It's a small facility with only 66 beds including the 22 medicare beds. She assures me that the unit managers are very well trained and completely manage their own units. The current DON is staying, but wants back on the floor. The DON apparently gets less than 5 calls/month at home. So if they're true to their word it should be a great facility to get my feet wet in.
- 6Mar 9, '11 by Nascar nurseWell now for a BIG decision...I got the job! Yeah for me! I got the salary I asked for! Yeah for me!
Now I just have to decide if I'm really going to take the job. No sleep for me tonight - Boo for me!
Thanks all for your input