First year nursing student looking for experience in USARegister Today!
- by louisey06 Aug 23, '11Hi to anyone reading this
My name is Louise, I am starting a 4 year general nursing course in Trinity College Dublin, Ireland is September 2011. For the summer of 2012, I want to travel to USA and try and get some work experience under my belt that's nursing related. I would love to do this in NEW York City.
Are there any facilities in NYC that would take on a student just finished their first year of general nursing? It can be shadowing a more experienced nursing, or some assistance, or anything, I just want to gain as much experience as I can! It does not have to be paid, volunteer work is fine by me
New York Presbyterian, Mount Sinai etc..Do hospitals run student learning programmes over the summer or externships that are free of charge?
Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank yooooouuu!!
- Aug 23, '11 by Silverdragon102The issues will be obtaining a visa allowing you to do this which in the current climate will be very hard. Also be aware hospitals are closing in NY making it hard for both experienced and new grads already there to work and sure the externships will go to local people due to the amount of money it costs to train up
- Oct 3, '11 by RN4008I would check out the Summer Pre-Career Practicum on this website http://nyp.org/volunteer/westchester.html if you are interested in New York Presbyterian's Westchester site...otherwise I would just ask about volunteer programs at hospitals. I think if you have completed at least a med-surg rotation of clinicals they may let you apply for some...
I am actually a nursing student from NY hoping to find nursing experience in Ireland, preferably Galway. Do you know of anything?
- Oct 3, '11 by louisey06Thaks for the link, definitely interested in that! My problem is, I'm not sure if I'm legally allowed to work in a medical envrionment because of insurance reasons etc :/ Hope I can find a loophole!
Are you looking to do experience during summer or at any time? Also, are you looking for like, an 8 week program or a proper course(Can be up to 4 years!)
- Oct 3, '11 by RN4008Im looking for a summer program--not sure how long, since i am already in nursing school here getting my BSN!