Accepted into CCC Nursing Program: Truman College - page 12
Hi all! I've started this thread for those of us who have gotten the good news and have been accepted to start the nursing program at Truman College in Fall 2012! If you are still waiting to hear,... Read More
Jun 1, '12violet.78 - did you also submit your cpr certification as well or just the medicals? The reason I asked is because I am planning on turning in my medicals first and my CPR later. My CPR class is June 30th and I do not want to turn everything in at the deadline incase I am missing something on my medicals.
Jun 1, '12to Endless, Yes I did. I submitted a copy of my CPR because I had the class last month. I completely forgot to bring with me only the letter of acceptance, but Vanisha ( in the nursing department) said that I do not need it. Make sure when is the deadline, because I am confused with it. Is either June15th, or July 1st. I tried to have everything ready only because I wanted have some time left, just in case they will find out that I missed something.
Jun 1, '12My doctor's office called yesterday and said I wasn't immune to Hep B. The nurse then told me I couldn't get the vaccine cause I'm pregnant. I will be having the baby middle/end of July but that doesn't help much. I then went on the CDC website and it said that pregnant women CAN get vaccinated. I've got to get this done. I'm going to ask my OB/GYN to see what he thinks then probably just do it anyway.
I have had the Hep B vaccination or booster, don't remember, done about 5 years ago when I was in Massage Therapy school. I've read that some people just don't make the antibodies after the vaccine. THere is no time for this.
I knew this whole process was going way to smooth for me. Ha.
Jun 1, '12To Bethany, I think you can refuse the Hep.B for now and get it later based on the wavier that was emailed to us with all other medical requirements. Here is a copy of it:
DEPARTMENT OF NURSING
Hepatitis B Vaccine Wavier
(To be completed ONLY if the student DECLINES Hepatitis B Vaccine)
1. Hepatitis B is a blood-borne disease which affects the liver. Symptoms can range from none or mild flu-
like complaints to cirrhosis, liver cancer, and death.
2. Many healthcare workers (including nursing students) may be exposed to blood and/or body fluids during
routine work activities. They are substantially at greater risk of contracting Hepatitis B than are those with
limited exposure. Statistics place health care workers at a 20 time greater risk of contracting Hepatitis B
than the general public.
3. Hepatitis B vaccine has not been shown to be highly effective in preventing Hepatitis b virus infection.
There is no guarantee or assurance as to results of the vaccine, but clinical trials in healthy adults and
adolescents have shown a conversion (protection) rate of 96% one more after the 3rd dose.
4. Hepatitis B vaccine is given by injection and consists of three separate doses of vaccine. After the initial
dose, the second dose is usually given at an interval of one month. The third dose is given six months
following the initial dose.
5. Adverse reactions to the Hepatitis B vaccine may include fever, headache, and local pain at the site of
injection. These reactions occur in 1% to 10 % of injections.
Wavier: I understand that due to my education exposure to blood and other potentially infectious material, I may be
at risk of acquiring Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. I have been informed about the need to be vaccinated with
Hepatitis B vaccine. However, I DECLINE Hepatitis B vaccine at this time. I understand that by declining this
vaccine, I continue to be at risk of acquiring Hepatitis B, a serious disease. If, in the future, I continue to have
occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials and I want to be vaccinated with Hepatitis B
vaccine, I will consult my healthcare provider.
Print Name ________________________________________
I decline to receive the Hepatitis B vaccine because:
______ I have already received the vaccine.
______ I intend to receive the vaccine at a future date (specify)
______I have a religious objection to the vaccine.
______Other __________________________________________________ ____
Jun 1, '12Ohhhh. I think you are right. I will definately do that. I am going to get all my stuff turned in next week to make sure they don't have a problem with that.
Thank you so much, Violet.78
Jun 3, '12Quote from chicagogirl710Before you sit the year out and try again, have you gotten your titers? You may very well NOT need any vaccines at all. Also, you don't start clinicals until at least 2 or 3 weeks in. You can get your shots then since you will probably have already delivered.@Bethany1975- how lucky are you that you got caught up with your shots in time!!! =) that was a close call! thanks for your response... I am going to call them today. Unfortunately I am due in August and I was considering inducing a little early but i think i might just have to sit this year out and try for next year. =/
I would turn in everything you have and talk to them then.
Jun 4, '12Wow. So I guess I'm not the only one freaking out about this whole process. I just received my information email on May 29th after numerous attempts to contact them with no avail. I was horrified to see everything needed to be completed by June 15th because that was definitely not the initial date stated and I'm am out of town until the 8th. I saw someone said Vanisha indeed confirmed it would be July 1st. Has anyone else heard that this is the actual deadline??? I'm going to try to email again, hopefully someone will respond this time. Thank you all for your helpful posts because we certainly aren't getting any help from the staff.
Also- I got accepted into the evening program and really need day. Anyone willing to switch??? My email is email@example.com. Please let me know if this is something that you are interested in. Thanks and good luck to you all!!
Jun 6, '12Thanks for all the information everyone!
Does anyone know the date and time for orientation? Or have we not found out yet?
Jun 6, '12K, finally got my package turned in today!!! Good luck to everyone on gettng the paperwork in : )Was told the book list should be available Friday or early next week. Forgot to ask about Orientation : (
Jun 7, '12if anyone is interested in swapping their morning section for my evening please email me!! firstname.lastname@example.org thx so much
Jun 7, '12i sure hope it's not 15th! i am no where near ready to turn anything in. mercy works doesn't accept BCBS HMO plan so i have to figure out if i want to call around and have it done with a doctor's office i am covered at, or just save myself the hassle & pay out of pocket.
Jun 7, '12If anyone has days and needs to switch for nights (or knows anyone that does) please let me know email@example.com
Also the due date is definitely July 1st for anyone still confused. I just received a conformation email.