Who does the competency checks on the DON

  1. I recently signed on to help open a HH agency for an established agency in another state. I'm the first employee while I get policy/procedures etc together. I will see our first 10 patients while we wait for initial survey. My question is, who does my competency checks? Can someone from home office (another state) do or do they have to have a RN license in my state to check my skills? Do I have to hire a contract person w/qualifications to do my checks here in my state? Thanks, has me a bit puzzled!
  2. Visit lindaw profile page

    About lindaw

    Joined: Oct '11; Posts: 3
    Specialty: 13 year(s) of experience in PICU, Interventional Pain, Home Health


  3. by   caliotter3
    A nationwide company that I worked for had regional nurse honchos. I imagine that this would be the resource person for these matters. I would ask the people who hired you what their intentions are for a regional nurse honcho.
  4. by   KateRN1
    If the agency is a franchise, it should be addressed in the franchise information. The parent agency should have P&P already in place, follow those. If it is not specifically addressed, it gives them the opportunity to write the P&P now to do whatever is most convenient. Check with your state's home care association to see if there is anything in the state regs specifically addressing the situation.
  5. by   Isabelle49
    I would think you would need an RN licensed in your state, or that person won't be considered an RN.