Quote from adamsmom2
I worked for 2 different agencies and ended up working 7 days a week for both. I gave up after 2 years.
This is what I did to avoid the 24/7 job. I learned this (after a few years) from watching experienced nurses do it.
1. Work for a larger agency that has a firm "on call" schedule.
2. Never give out your phone number. The only number a patient should have is the one on the home folder.
3. At SOC, explain to the patient how the afterhours phone system works, and what days you are usually off. Explain that you do not answer the phone when you are off and they are not to leave a message. They need to call the number on the folder.
4. When its your day off, weekends or nights. Do not answer the phone. Shut it off. I also had a message on this phone giving them the correct number to call.
5. Learn to say "no". Sorry I can't work this day, weekend, night etc...
Anyone else have ideas?