Qualifications for DON designee or alternate?Register Today!
- by ziadollface Jul 27, '11Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me an idea of what the minimum qualifications are for a Director of Nursing designee in a Home Health care agency? We're in California and I can't seem to find anything in the state or federal regs that address this. Thanks!
- Jul 27, '11 by KateRN1Check your policy book or your accrediting body/agency.
- Jul 28, '11 by caliotter3If I were going to guess, I would say they are the same as that for someone hired as the DON.
- Jul 28, '11 by KateRN1No, they're not always. I am a designated alternate and didn't have to go through the credentialing that the DON did. Best to check with agency policy manual and/or accrediting body.
- Aug 13, '11 by Isabelle49The COP specifically addresses this issue. You can find it in the Federal Register. A home health DON is required to have had a minimum of 1 year field experience, but I could be wrong as it may be 2 years.