What do you eat before work? - Page 3Register Today!
- Mar 2 by WanderingSagehenOmg you are a nurse. The last thing you need is refined sugar for chronic hypoglycemia. I know carrot cake has lots of fruit and veggies but it is filled with sugar too. Unless you make a really crappy tasting carrot cake go for whole grains, proteins , vegetables, and take a nutrition class. Tomatoes are fruit also. You will go hypoglycemic if you are just taking in sugars. Ps carrots are loaded with sugar too. (by themselves they are great).... nutrition rant.... nurses we should be a better example of health, come on....
- Mar 3 by multi10WanderingSageHen: "Crappy?"! Sugar (Carbohydrates): Good. Fat is good. Protein is good. Fiber is good. Preservatives are not necessary. Make/cook something in your kitchen and make several portions so you have access. It could be feta and tomato or hard-boiled eggs or tuna salad with capers and lemon, okay I'm getting hungry now talking about food.
- Mar 3 by multi10To WanderingSagehen: I am 5'6". I weigh 120 lbs. I don't need to take a class on nutrition (but thank you for the suggestion). I run marathons. Being a bedside nurse today is a marathon. We are running all the time. Couple that with the intellectual demands we deal with each and every moment.
- Mar 3 by InoriI eat lunch for breakfast as that meal needs to be big enough to last 6-8 hrs as lunch may or may not be on time or at all. (rice, meat, veggies, orange juice). and i keep a granola bar or two in my pockets for when lunch doesn't happen, locker has instant noodles n coffee too
- Mar 3 by nrsang97I usually just eat dinner before work. So it varies what I eat since I work 7p-7a. I usually am able to take a break from 2230-2330. I also keep snacks in the rapid response office. I have oatmeal, soup if I need to eat something and I didn't bring anything with me.
- Mar 3 by turnforthenurseRNI usually opt for two slices of 100% whole wheat toast topped with peanut butter, a sliced banana and a little drizzle of honey. This keeps me full for awhile, then at around 2130-2200 I have a snack...whether it is yogurt, a granola bar (I like the Kashi muffin bars, the apple cinnamon one is my favorite) or a piece of fruit. Sometimes I am so busy that I won't eat until way past 0000 and I do not even notice that I am hungry. Other times I am crazy busy but notice that I am starving. It just boils down to eating a good breakfast and bringing some snacks that you can eat quickly to give you some more fuel until you can eat another good meal.