OBLC Vegetarian?Register Today!
This is a discussion on OBLC Vegetarian? in Government / Military Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Hey-- I have seen this questions asked before, but never clearly answered. I am going to AMEDD BOLC...by PrettyinPink1234 Mar 31, '11Hey-- I have seen this questions asked before, but never clearly answered. I am going to AMEDD BOLC later this month and I am wondering if the army will accommodate my vegetarian lifestyle (esp out in the field, looks like most MRE's have meat in them) Please reply if you have any information. THANKS!!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=546555©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 867 Views
- Mar 31, '11 by Cursed IrishmanThey have vegetarian MRE's....they also tend to be the best tasting ones.
- Mar 31, '11 by New1LTThere are Vegetarian MREs. I was a PLT LDR during BOLC and made sure that when MREs were being passed out that I got the vegetarians hooked up. With that being said, some of the best MREs are the vegetarian ones, so they were sought out for by a lot of people. For your hot meals in the field you won't have a lot of protein to choose from, so make sure you supplement yourself by bringing some protein. There were a lot of vegetarians in my class and they ate fine. It may not be what you're use to, but it's not what the rest of us are use to eating either!! Good luck at BOLC!!!
- Apr 1, '11 by YammarThe veggie MREs!! Some where not bad, but that wheat snack bread was so very very dry! I had the veggie burger a couple of times and it works the best with just one slice of the bread!..
Let people know that you don't eat meat and they will happily set aside the non-meat MREs for you.
For me the problem came at the DFAC where meat was always served and often they would season the veggies with bacon or use chicken broth. I had to ask with almost every meal if there was meat in the veggies. But there was always salad and fruit!!!
- Apr 1, '11 by PrettyinPink1234thanks for the replies everyone!!
- Apr 2, '11 by LunahRNThe DFAC supposedly has veggie options according to signage.
- Apr 2, '11 by 0402Accommodating vegetarians has come a long way in the military. I remember when the vegetarian MREs came out (and I totally agree that they are some of the better tasting ones). I used to also trade my "cheese" packets for peanut butter. I have a friend who made it through deployment, on ship, as a vegan- that took some fairly serious coordination, but regular vegetarian shouldn't be too hard, at all. =)
- Apr 3, '11 by just_causeArmy doesn't have and shouldn't have to accommodate your diet. That being said the veggie meals are calorie dense and tasty. I have a friend that made it through several deployments and Ranger school as a vegetarian.... sitting at an outpost and watching him eat our daily hot ration - breakfast he ate scrambled eggs topped with peanut butter.. so he was willing to accommodate to get his necessary protein / calories. As a nurse or in a OBC type environment I would say you shouldn't have a problem.