Going through first drill unprepared for us army reserve? help advice pls.. - Page 2Register Today!
- Sep 6, '12 by malestunurseQuote from AjaxAndronicusEat protein bars for meals? that's terrible advice.Leekun,
Cut your carbohydrate intake down, eat protein bars for meals. Eat vegetables and lean meats for dinner. Don't drink alcohol, no soda, no sweets. Take a daily multivitamin. Eat under your daily requirements for caloric intake.
Run everyother day. If your abet of gym get a trainer, if not find a gym to train and get a trainer. If you do t like gyms google p90x, buy a copy and work it.
If you do his you will lose weight.
Keep your head up and don't ever give up.
- Sep 6, '12 by AjaxAndronicusdropped 70lbs replacing a meal with protein bars and 10min mile to 7min.
- Sep 6, '12 by studentnurseCTCall your unit they should have a New Soldier Sponsorship program. You can ask for the chief nurse, that is usually a full time position. You need a section assignment before you can do anything. We have new Soldiers without uniforms the first drill all the time, it's fine. For your first PT test ask to take a diagnostic APFT.
- for the uniform, can i still wear my acu even if im missing things like my name tag and a other emblems for my ACU?
- what about p90x? has anyone used it? and does it work? thats the workout im doing for now to prepare for PT
for ACUs can someone wear it even though there are missing emblema such as no name tag, etc?
- Sep 6, '12 by athena55NO.
When you get on base, find out if they have a Military Clothing Store and buy what you need. As studentnurseCT stated, hopefully you will have a sponsor that will "show you the ropes" on what to buy. If there is no Military Clothing Store then find out what patches you need, and order them on-line.
You will need your last name/Name Tape, US Army velcro tape, the US Flag velcro, and your rank for your ACU and for your PC.
- with the emblems, im missing name tag and the US Army tag. the american flag i have isnt velcro so i have to somehow have it stick to my sleeve.
i hope to be able to make to the base exchange today coz i live 4 1/2 hrs away from the base.
- Sep 6, '12 by itsnoworneverAs a SSG you would get booted from my platoon office in a heartbeat if you wear ACUs with NOTHING on them. You knew when you were commissioned that this day was coming and you should have ordered your own name tapes, flag and other items at that point. Name tapes are cheap, no reason to not jump the gun and get it. You should have also received your basic issue then. As far as PT...well, that should have been a requirement prior to commissioning also. No sympathy here. You wanna pass the PT test? You train for your test the same way you did your NCLEX...start the two mile run, sit ups and push ups. To get better on push ups, do 15 normal, 15 with your feet elevated, 15 with an empty back pack and 15 with 20lbs or more in the back pack, you will get there. Dont focus too much on ht/wt if you can pass the PT test you wont be taped. However, you need to get your uniform in order now. Call your supply sergeant, they should have your stuff.
Going in there unprepared will only tell your troops that (a) you can't be trust in a war situation because you aren't prepared for basic drill and (b) you are no different than any other butter bar out there I'm not saying this is true at all, but bottom line is being a new officer is kinda worse than being a private. You dont know all the answers, but because you are an officer you are EXPECTED to, so there is a HIGH learning curve. They talk about newbies in the ER getting eaten alive, for officers, this is 10 times worse!! You can fix this, just get squared away, know your lane and learn everything you can.
You dont want to give this information. It's hard enough for new officers without having this issue at hand. Square yourself away, call the supply sergeant and see if anyone in your area can make the tapes for you now.Last edit by itsnowornever on Sep 6, '12 : Reason: Wanted to add without making a new post
- Sep 6, '12 by nursespouseI dont understand your lack of urgency. You knew you would be going in even before you got your commission a month ago. If you really wanted to, you could drop a ton of weight in one month. And name tapes and patches along with all other peices of the uniform can be ordered online. I can say you should never report in a busted uniform. Your superiors, while being understanding about most things will not tolerate an incomplete uniform, and the enlisted soldiers will be eating you up ( mostly behind your back of course, for fear of reprisals) about a busted uniform. I would report in nice civys(street clothes) or a full pt uniform with a set of civys with you, until your uniform is squared away. Remember first impressions are the most important, not going to BOLC yet isnt a valid excuse in most peoples eyes( when it comes to the uniform and hght/wght standards) get yourself together and do the best you can, just by no means wear an incomplete uniform. Good luck brother and welcome to a fraternity that will dtay with you, your entire life.
- i plan to wear civvies with my pt uniform, and from my understanding as was explained to me, this would replace me wearing ACU's for now until i get my uniform completed. pls correct me if im wrong. at this point, the name tag and boots are whats holding me back which ive already ordered for both online and just waiting to come by mail.
i appreciate all of your feedback for my concern and i am doing my best to get everything straightened out. i appreciate all your help here.