What happens to nursing students who fail out of the program?Register Today!
- by EmilyEmily Jul 23Does anyone know what happens to the average nursing student who fails out of the nursing program? typically what is the second major that they often pursue? or do they go for lpn? go to work full time??
- 3,294 Views
- Jul 23 by sevenup0307I'm assuming they might have an option of re-taking the class. So they may have to sit out a year until they can retake it. If you fail to many time like 2-3, then likely the person will be let go. Chances are it will be difficult finding another nursing program to accept you so you will likely have to choose another career path. I would say accounting and engineering are probably other careers people seek out.
- Jul 23 by dansamyIn my program, you could repeat 2 classes without failing out of the program. The third class failed you out. Then, you had to wait out a year before reapplying. I know at least two students in my program who repeated the entire program. They successfully completed the second try & are now RNs. One works at my hospital. In the ICU.
- Jul 23 by EmilyEmilyQuote from dansamywhat school do you attend?In my program, you could repeat 2 classes without failing out of the program. The third class failed you out. Then, you had to wait out a year before reapplying. I know at least two students in my program who repeated the entire program. They successfully completed the second try & are now RNs. One works at my hospital. In the ICU.
- Jul 23 by moonchild86It really depends- sometimes you can transfer to other programs. Good luck.
- Jul 23 by dansamyQuote from EmilyEmilyI graduated from Bishop State in Mobile, Alabama.what school do you attend?
I don't know what the policies of the other SIX nursing programs in Mobile are like. In addition to that, there's another couple of programs within an hour or two from Mobile. There's absolutely NO nursing shortage here. Wages are very low because the hospitals can just replace an expensive, experienced nurse with a very cheap new graduate. Most new grads sign a 2 year contract & the hospital pays some towards their student loan bill.
- Jul 23 by LittleRedOwlIn the program at my school if you fail a semester, you can try and join the nursing cohort that started after yours if there's room for you to join. & you just do it over and hopefully pass.
If it doesn't work out in nursing, you could always become an occupational therapy assistant, respiratory therapy assistant, surgical tech. Many things really.
- Jul 24 by StrawberryEssence81I'm starting a LPN program in August, and during orientation I learned that some of my new nursing classmates failed out of the class that's graduating next month. So, um.....I don't know where they go if they fail out again.....
- Jul 27 by MissPriss618In my LPN program, if you fail out of ONE course then you'll have to wait until the next year when that course is offered again, to complete it & move forward (& you don't have to reapply)..However, if you fail 2 or more courses, then you can't come back.AT ALL.