Old new nursing student.Register Today!
- by FransBevy Aug 24I was 48 years old, working full time and was a full time nursing student.
On the first day of class the instructor said, "If you work more than 20 hours a week I can guarantee you you won't pass this course"
I worked 40 hours a week and graduated 4th in my class.
If this is your vocation you will do it.
- 863 Views
- Aug 24 by lorirn2bThat's awesome! I just turned 50 and start on Tuesday. Working only part time but I'm still scared, especially after seeing my courses in Blackboard and all the work I have coming up. The only reason I am on here and not reading is that my old brain gets sleepy when the sun goes down.
- Aug 24 by Caribbean CharacterMy wife is Director of Student Counseling at our college and the 20 hour thing is a commonly quoted statistic for other college students, I can't imagine working and going to nursing school. I'm not saying it can't be done because there are students who have graduated medical school while working full time, but not everybody can do it.
- Aug 26 by man-nurse2bThat is impressive. I am considering going back to work...hopefully within a hospital setting. I still have 1 year of school left and I dont think loans will be enough to survive.
- Aug 26 by jojo111Hey y'all -- I am 61 years young & just got my BSN after 3 yrs. back in school, in the top 10% of my cohort (who were mostly traditional undergrads). I did NOT work, but many of my fellow students did and were successful. From what I could see, it just added LOTS of stress for them -- but we all do what we have to do, right?
My biggest issue was age discrimination (I think) when trying to find a job, and I wished several times that I had worked as a CNA during school. It really makes a difference in who gets hired. However, I now have multiple job offers so all's well that ends well!
I strongly encourage all of my fellow 'older & wiser' types to go for it!
- Sep 12 by Esme12Welcome to AN! The largest online nursing community!
...and fellow weimy lover! Welcome!
- Sep 12 by jojo111Thank you, Esme12!!!