NCLEX style question....Register Today!
- by Bonny619 Aug 23, '07What do you think?
The nurse is caring for a client with a myocardial infarction. Which finding requires the nurse's immediate action?
1. Periorbital edema
2. Dizzy spells
4. Shortness of breath
- 1,065 Views
- Aug 23, '07 by Eirenei'm going to go with option 4. my rationale is the abc's-- sob.
- Aug 23, '07 by DaytoniteQuote from bonny619while shortness of breath is this obvious answer upon first glance, dizzy spells (#2) might be the correct answer. arrhythmias are a complication of an mi. some arrhythmias lead to poor or no perfusion of blood and oxygen to the brain which are manifested as dizzy spells and syncope. oxygen to the brain trumps oxygen to the lungs. the brain dies minutes faster than heart or lung tissue.the nurse is caring for a client with a myocardial infarction. which finding requires the nurse's immediate action?
1. periorbital edema
2. dizzy spells
4. shortness of breath
- Aug 23, '07 by Bonny619Daytonite is right!
I was thrown by this one though.
- Aug 23, '07 by KiringatVery sneaky!
- Aug 23, '07 by DaytoniteKeep in mind that NCLEX questions also test your knowledge of disease and medical treatment. This is a question of one's knowledge of myocardial infarction, it's signs, symptoms, complications and how that affects nursing care and nursing interventions. Add Maslow's hierarchy of needs (#1 - need for oxygen) and which organ of the body has priority for oxygen and the answer was right there. Critical thinking--gotta love it!
- Aug 23, '07 by Eirenedang! i learned something today. these posts are so much fun.
dayton-- you've officially took my title as the 'queen of cool'.