Help! I can't decide whether to return to nursing schoolRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Help! I can't decide whether to return to nursing school in General Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... Hi all - I have a low threshold for stress. I have had melt-downs during each attempt at nursing...by bigeyes4 Feb 19Hi all - I have a low threshold for stress. I have had melt-downs during each attempt at nursing school. I have taken the first semester twice - almost to the end. I'd say that each time I dropped it I allowed the clinical instructor to stress me out. I feel stronger now. I exercise, I eat right, I sleep well and think that I have a good attitude. I know what to expect and I know how to handle difficult situations. To attempt nursing school for the third time, I have to write a letter to the head of the department. I haven't sent it yet.
Any suggestions. I had no problem academically.
Thank you in advance.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=816549©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Feb 19 by Jill2ShayWhy do you want to be a nurse? Nursing in and of itself can be inherently stressful. Yes, there are some areas where it's not. Is that where you want to work? In a doctor's office or an incurance company?
- Feb 19 by bigeyes4Actually, I did want to work for an insurance company. I was thinking of legal nurse consultant too since I used to be a paralegal. I want to be a nurse to make a positive impact on people and to learn the material in which I am extremely interested. -
- Feb 19 by GrnTeaQuote from bigeyes4Actually, I did want to work for an insurance company. I was thinking of legal nurse consultant too since I used to be a paralegal. I want to be a nurse to make a positive impact on people and to learn the material in which I am extremely interested. -
A legal nurse consultant isn't sought by attorneys for legal procedural knowledge, but for nursing knowledge and experience. You will not be able to get your nursing education, pass NCLEX, and go right to being an LNC; you will have no value as an experienced nurse. So you'll still need many years of working in nursing before that time. Check the Legal Nursing forum under Specialties for more discussions like this one.
That said, perhaps if you can't find work as an RN you can still moonlight as a paralegal to keep the money coming in.
- Feb 19 by ♪♫ in my ♥Quote from bigeyes4My suggestion is that you give some very serious consideration as to whether you're cut out for nursing.I have a low threshold for stress. I have had melt-downs during each attempt at nursing school.
Nursing practice is generally much more stressful than even the very worst of nursing school ever was.
- Feb 19 by ♪♫ in my ♥Quote from bigeyes4There are much cheaper and easier ways to learn the material.I want to be a nurse to ... learn the material in which I am extremely interested. -
Buy used books of the web and watch YouTube videos.
- Feb 20 by HouTxIt seems like you may like the 'intellectual' aspects of healthcare rather than the down-and-dirty patient care part of it. Have you considered options that are more distant from the bedside? Maybe one of the more technical areas? What about laboratory science? Lots of intellectual stimulation but without actually dealing with patients.
- Feb 20 by bigeyes4I think that is what I am going to end up doing. Are you a musician? I play violin and piano. I was just noticing your logo there.
Thanks for the suggestions!
- Feb 21 by bigeyes4I just know I can do it. I wrote a letter to the department head today requesting to be reinstated and to be given the opportunity to challenge nursing 1 with their exam. It is going before a committee in May and I'll find out then. I know I can do it. My husband says that I shouldn't try and that I'm just not cut out for nursing. I know I can do it. Maybe I have grandiose thinking? I had two meltdowns due to stress. But I am wiser now. I know I can do it.
- Feb 21 by loriangel14You need to deal with the reason behind the meltdowns before you will be successful. Have you gotten any professional help? If you haven't dealt with the problem you will find yourself in the same spot again.