What is meant by the term "Professional" - page 2
Having read through the thread on "Spelling - It Matters" I am amazed at how many replies equated good spelling and good grammar with professionalism. All too often in our field the term... Read More
Apr 30, '03After 34 years at the coalface......
I'm convinced it's BOTH!!
I do however, feel the word; "professional", is
SO overused. And, often in totally the WRONG context. JMHO.
Apr 30, '03just an opinion...accurately does look like the writer is intelligient. my dad explained "professional " as someone who is paid for what they do as opposed to an amature.
Apr 30, '03Is nursing a profession??
I am probably going to get slammed for this. But it is my opinion, and something we are all entitled to have and express.
Anyhow, in my opinion, nursing is not a profession. There are many reasons for this.
1) Education level for entry level---you have a hospital diploma, associates, or bs ... but the majority does not have a bs in nursing
2) We wear uniforms
3) We clock in and out
4) We do shift work
5) We are given a schedule and are told when to work
6) Report to middle management
7) Have very little autonomy in our practice.
8) Have lots of responsibility but please remember responsibility does not mean autonomy
9) Are told things like "flex up"
10) We do not have a code of ethics--- we follow a medical code of ethics---- but do not have our own code
I honestly think we are force fed that nursing is a profession to keep us from joining unions..... if you hear enough times... but I am a professional, you can almost convince yourself, it's ok I can work in unsafe conditions, for too long hours, responsible for the lives of others, for not enough pay, getting bent over by everyone, being spoken down upon by others....Last edit by New CCU RN on Apr 30, '03
Apr 30, '03amen new ccurn....been gettin it up the poop shoot for 15 yrs and being told to act professionally afterwards.
May 1, '03we DO have a written code of ethics
here as a link
http://www.nursingworld.org/ethics/c...icscode150.htmLast edit by BrandyBSN on May 1, '03