What do I do with my CEU's?Register Today!
- by pammc000 Jun 8, '08I feel too stupid to ask anyone this question but can someone please tell me what I do with my CEU's? Do I post them to the Board of Nursing? Or do I just call them and say I've completed them?
- Jun 8, '08 by caliotter3Keep your certificates of completion. When you renew your license if you are asked for the info about your CEUs then you must provide it. I believe it is four years in CA. I was audited on my CEUs two years ago and had to send in copies of my certificates to the Board. Had I not had the certificates on hand, I would have had to remember what I put down on the form and contact the issuing authority for copies. Hassle.
- Jun 8, '08 by KaroSnowQueenHold onto them. If you are audited, and cannot find all your certificates of completion, (even though you KNOW you did them), you will have to take an additional number of CEU's, turn those in and pay a fine.
I found that out the hard way. Now I can lay my hands on several years's worth at any given time. I keep better track of those than my bank account.
- Jun 9, '08 by pammc000Thanks for the answers! I appreciate not having to ask anyone at work, LOL.
- Jun 9, '08 by classicdameKeep them till your license is renewed.
Also, there is no such thing as "CEU", although it is a common mistake to use this term. The actual term is "contact hours". In the past continuing education units were 10 contact hours = 1 unit. Some states required a specific set of units (2 units= 20 contact hours). Finally ANCC decided to drop the term and use contact hours only. Other organizations followed suit. Just FYI.