Please add your name to the following sentence: I, __James (Jami) Ullman, LPN__ am participating in this interview of my own free will.
1) How long have you been in the nursing profession? 11 years, 12 if you include school
2) How long did you train for and where? One year to the day initially, and evryday since, as this is a lifelong everchanging occupation.
3) How many men were on your training course? At the start 3, at the end 1-me!
4) How many women were on your training course? 32 and at the end 9 of the original class and 2 th1 that was picked up during the year.
5) How many men were teaching on your training course? None!
6) How many women were teaching on your training course? 7
7) What position do you hold, where and how long? To many to list in various settings and specialties by my chioce. Today I work agencies and looking to travel.
8) Where and what positions have you previously held? All in OHIO, Columbus. One on staff at a truama 3 teaching hospital-Neuro/Surg, Home health, Abortion clinic (as close as I could get to my passion OB), Family Practice Nursing Supervisor, Staffing, Corrections, Harvesting Human Donor tissue at the ARC
9) How many men are there on your department, how many are in positions of power? Almost all of them as I supervised aids, CNA, MA, x-ray, phlebotomists, front office, or techs.
10) How many women are there on your department, how many are in positions of power? All of my boss's were female
11) Why did you choose a career in nursing? To help people! Also I have three nurses (my mom is one), a pharmacist, and several beuticians that specialize in doing womens hair at nursing homes
12) How did others react to your choice? Some laughed, my inlaws did not believe I would pursue it.
13) Have you ever been treated differently in work because you are male? Describe. Yes see my page at http://www.geocities.com/4birthing/gender1.html
14) Do you believe/know there are pay and promotional differences between male and female nurses? Describe. Unknown, I do not ask.
15) Do you believe women are more suited to the job? No, absolutely not any one who desires and has the calling is suited!
16) Do you think it is easier for men or women to get ahead in the profession? Women who are a RN!
17) Why do you think there aren't as many men in the profession, and do you see that ever changing? I think it is the social norms that have prevented this from happening, and yes I do see this changing as every male who is or has been a Nurse is a change agent for this to occur!
18) Do you think it is fair that nursing is seen as a female profession? NO!
Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.
Visit my web site at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/4birthing" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/4birthing
</A>Have a Blessed and Peaceful Day,