Nurse Impersonators - page 12

:( Am I the only one who resents the "nurse impersonators" who abound in the health care field? Everyone who works at a doctor's office or in a hospital wears scrubs and seems to pass... Read More

  1. by   frann
    We don't even have nurses week anymore. We have hospital week. Where everyone gets praise, then everyone else besides nurses have seperate week.
  2. by   EXOTIC NURSE
    Could SICU Queen and MattsMOM81 clarify what they are pertaining to when they use the phrase "pretend nurse" one who pass pills and make beds.........hmmmmmm sounds like they are referring to LPN's if you are then let me enlighten you on this note.....LPN's are nurses too, they take a state board and go to school and they have a right to practice under the Nurse Practice Act as well......(only if you were replying to LPN as Pretend ) Nurses......I do believe this particular post was referring to ones who do not have the right to practice as a nurse according to the Nurse Practice Act.
  3. by   Huganurse
    Exotic Nurse: Yes you need to be enlightened. Why in the world would you even begin to think they were referring to you? or LPN's? Give me a break. Perhaps you need to re-read and think about what this thread is really all about.
  4. by   SharonH, RN
    Originally posted by NancyRN
    And I, too, think doing away with our caps was the beginning of the dilution process for nurses. I do wear a cap some days when I do agency in a nursing home. Patients love it. It never really gets in my way. Guys could wear a "Guy" cap...I don't know the answer but we need to find one fast!

    Sorry Nancy, while agree with your concerns about nurse impersonators I absolutely do NOT share your opinon about those caps. I had to wear them in nursing school and I will not ever wear one again!
  5. by   NancyRN
    You hated the cap, I loved it. That isn't the issue.
  6. by   SharonH, RN
    Originally posted by NancyRN
    You hated the cap, I loved it. That isn't the issue.

    I'm well aware of what the issue is. Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't want a comment?


    And to stick to the issue: I don't feel losing the cap had anything to do with the dilution of our profession. If anything it enhanced the image of our profession, IMO.
    Last edit by SharonMH31 on Feb 9, '02
  7. by   donmurray
    Caps and starched aprons were relics of the Victorian parlourmaids uniform, and probably did more to hold back the progress of Nursing than any other single issue. IMHO.
  8. by   NurseDennie
    So what do you think we should do when we see it? You see it from time and time and sometimes you just really CAN'T do anything about it.

    But I was in an office the other day that I'd called on the phone first and part of the telephone-answering computer's spiel was "for so-and-so's NURSE, press this number" and when I went there and met that nurse.... She's got on a badge that says CMA.

    A VERY professional and competent person, and I'm sure she would be a wonderful nurse. But she's not.

    So - what's the advice on what to do, if anything?

    Love

    Dennie
  9. by   mattsmom81
    To Exotic: If you look back to my posts you will see my objection is to UAP's passing themselves off as nurses. Please don't try to find a slight to LPNs where there is none. I was an LPN before I became an RN and my beef is NOT with LPN's! We are both nurses and both LPN's and RN's are being upstaged by UAP's in our practice settings. Actually, it's a wonder LPN's aren't more upset as MA's seem to be taking a lot of their jobs, at least in my area.

    To Dennie: Maybe we have to start letter writing campaigns to medical facilities who persist in calling their MA's nurses. Or maybe we should start reporting them to our BON's? It would be nice to get an organization to back us up here but until that happens guess it's up to us to educate the public, eh? I have made some well placed comments to MA's ie. "Oh I'm glad to see you wearing your MA badge". They give me a look and I know I've made my point...hehe. But the offices that promote this impersonation have to be held accountable, IMO.

    Thanks everyone for a great forum!
  10. by   Q.
    Originally posted by EXOTIC NURSE
    Could SICU Queen and MattsMOM81 clarify what they are pertaining to when they use the phrase "pretend nurse" one who pass pills and make beds.........hmmmmmm sounds like they are referring to LPN's if you are then let me enlighten you on this note.....LPN's are nurses too, they take a state board and go to school and they have a right to practice under the Nurse Practice Act as well......(only if you were replying to LPN as Pretend ) Nurses......I do believe this particular post was referring to ones who do not have the right to practice as a nurse according to the Nurse Practice Act.
    ExoticNurse - please don't look for insult or divert the discussion away from what really matters. What really is at heart here is the profession of nursing - LPNs and RNs. Please don't draw a line down the middle and separate us when we need to stick together. Why is it every couple of posts we need to constantly defend ourselves against CNAs, MAs and now LPNs???????
    Good god.
  11. by   mdslabod
    I went to my doctor's office for a physical. A young man, who did not identfy himself, said he was going to set me up for a pelvic exam. He asked me things like when my last period was etc.
    Getting uncomfortable, I asked for his credentials. Turns out he was an x-ray tech Just filling in for the nurses.

    I asked him to leave.

    Who knew?
  12. by   donmurray
    Since the title "Nurse" appears to be protected by law in most if not all states, find out who has the duty of enforcing the law, and contact them. Bon's surely have a vested interest in doing so? Didn't the ANA run a badge (pin?) campaign in the 90's with the slogan "Every patient deserves a Nurse"
  13. by   mattsmom81
    Originally posted by mdslabod
    I went to my doctor's office for a physical. A young man, who did not identfy himself, said he was going to set me up for a pelvic exam. He asked me things like when my last period was etc.
    Getting uncomfortable, I asked for his credentials. Turns out he was an x-ray tech Just filling in for the nurses.

    I asked him to leave.

    Who knew?
    OMG! Maybe we should assemble some stories like yours and send 'em to 20:20 and let them do an 'expose' of sorts, eh? THAT would be a great episode wouldn't it!:roll

close