Hospital jobs for 17-18 yr olds??
- 0Mar 1, '11 by jaredsgirlHi! I am really looking for a job right now. I am 17 yr old, and I will be 18 in July, and my BSN program starts this fall(end of august). What I am wondering, is are there any jobs I can get right now in a hospital? How do you become a nurse's aide, transporter, assistant or sitter? I've heard of 16 yr olds doing this. Does it pay, or is it volunteer? Do you have to get certified,and how?
I really need to get a job, and any help would be appreciated. There's a hospital by my house, and wanted to ask here, before I went there to ask!
- 1Mar 1, '11 by Flareit really depends on the place. Some hospitals will hire right out of HS for a NA or transport or dietary. Housekeeping and central supply are also viable options (i worked in central during NS) and all get you a foot in the door. Apply... the worst that can happen is they don't hire you.
eta - also - look into volunteering - that can also get you in the door and lead to a paying job.
- 0Mar 1, '11 by NaKclI agree with above post. Get your foot in the door will be a good idea. According to my experience, I do not suggest you to be on the floor right now. dietary or central supply or pharmacy tech will be a good option. I think you can get pharmacy tech certification in less than one semester.
Good luck on your future plan.
- 0Mar 1, '11 by classicdame Guidemy hospital will not allow anyone younger than 18 be hired due to the fact they are still legally minors and cannot sign contracts (like Code of Conduct, waiver of insurance and benefits, HIPAA, etc). Volunteers are limited to NON patient areas due to risk of infection and HIPAA violations.
I recommend you talk to someone in Human Resources at various facilities. They will know state and company rules and can offer guidance. Glad to see you are taking a proactive stance.
- 0Mar 1, '11 by RxOnlyWhen I was in nursing school I worked reception per diem in the x-ray department of a hospital up the road from me. It was the best thing I could have done- my first nursing job was in a doctor's office and my recruiter liked the idea that I had at least been in some kind of medical-office setting, even if it was just reception. I was 19 at the time, but I worked with a 16-year-old and we had the same duties. Age requirements may vary between states and specific hospitals. My advice would be to head on over to their HR department and check out their postings... they probably have a list and you just might find something! Good luck