Georgia Baptist College of Nursing

  1. Hey all,

    Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Georiga Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University in Atlanta? I thinking about applying there and I have in general heard good things about this school and how they are the only school in the South requiring three years of clinicals, have a > 90+% NCLEX pass rate, etc. What I'm a little concerned about is that it is affiliated with the Southern Baptists and a religion course is required. While this alone is not a problem, at this stage in my life I'm not very religious (although I'm not opposed to it and may even be open to it given the right circumstances) and am just curious about the degree religion plays in the curriculum. I'm fairly opened minded about things and would be hesitant to go into a program where I would be force fed a particular philosophy day in/out. Just curious.
    •  
  2. 10 Comments

  3. by   P_RN
    Our niece is a Mercer Graduate. It is a well respected University here in the south. If the Religion courses are part of the requirement and you want to attend Mercer then you will have to take them. Southern Baptists are just people (like me). The school is a good one. The tuition is upwards of $7k a semester. That is more daunting to me than one course.
  4. by   CseMgr1
    It was a good school when I graduated in 1981 from their old diploma program...and I'm sure it still is
  5. by   atownsendrn
    Good school. Work with a nurse that graduated from Georgia Baptist. She is great. There are many good nursing schools in the area. They might be the only one that requires three years of clinicals, but they aren't the only one with high NCLEX pass rates. I graduated from the BSN program at Kennesaw - 99% of my class passed NCLEX on the first try. West Georgia has a good BSN program with a high pass rate. Emory's program is good. I'm not fimiliar with Georgia State's BSN program, but I know two NP's that graduated from GSU that are wonderful nurses. Why are you narrowing your focus to schools that have 3 years of clinicals. Three years or two years - you make your clinical what you want them to be.
  6. by   hobbes
    Originally posted by atownsendrn
    Good school. Work with a nurse that graduated from Georgia Baptist. She is great. There are many good nursing schools in the area. They might be the only one that requires three years of clinicals, but they aren't the only one with high NCLEX pass rates. I graduated from the BSN program at Kennesaw - 99% of my class passed NCLEX on the first try. West Georgia has a good BSN program with a high pass rate. Emory's program is good. I'm not fimiliar with Georgia State's BSN program, but I know two NP's that graduated from GSU that are wonderful nurses. Why are you narrowing your focus to schools that have 3 years of clinicals. Three years or two years - you make your clinical what you want them to be.
    Well, I'm not actually narrowing my decision based on the three years of clinicals they require, I just thought of that as a positive - more hands-on leads to greater confidence and ability. I was also seriously thinking about Kennesaw, the only downside is that the commute would be a bit further (I live in Stone Mtn), but it is financially less daunting and also has a respectable NCLEX pass rate. Also, I've done a bit more research and Mercer's program is not as flexible for the non-traditional student as they don't make allowance for those that already have a degree as does other schools in the area. Nonetheless, they have a good reputation.
  7. by   ainz
    I have friend that graduated from Mercer, not the nursing program. It has an excellent reputation and is expensive. I would not worry about the Southern Baptist course and religious influence. I grew up Southern Baptist but also explored several other denominations and Catholic and Episcopalean (know I spelled that wrong!!). Just consider it exposure to another way of looking at things, part of your cultural education, and you may learn some things you didn't know, just a different perspective. Even though Southern Baptist are known for "fire and brimstone" and rival Catholics for laying on the guilt, they are a great bunch of people who truly mean well and care about others!!!!! Isn't that the essence of Christianity anyway?!?!?
  8. by   I1tobern
    Had to reply. I was a student at Baptist in 1997. Before it became affiliated with Mercer, GBCN did not require a religious component.

    It is a tough school, but in Georgia, it is probably the best nursing school in this part of the country. Give 'em a visit, you will be impressed.
    jlowe
  9. by   CseMgr1
    It WAS a tough school, when I entered back in 1978. Originally there were around 120 in my class to begin with, and out of those, only 46 graduated.

    One of the fondest memories I have about GBHSN was Susan Gunby, who I believe was Assistant Director of the School at that time. She didn't give many lectures, but the ones that she did give, I could have listened to her ALL day. She was a good lady, very dynamic and a wonderful speaker...and was the only lecturer I can ever recall, who received ovations afterwards

    Hello to all you fellow Georgians and Georgia Baptist Alumni!
  10. by   SharonH, RN
    Hobbes, have you considered The Medical College of Georgia? They have a campus in Athens and that commute might be a little easierfrom Stone Mountain than Kennesaw. I don't know much about Georgia Baptist School of Nursing, except that it's expensive as is Emory. I think Georgia State is pretty good also.
  11. by   hobbes
    Originally posted by SharonMH31
    Hobbes, have you considered The Medical College of Georgia? They have a campus in Athens and that commute might be a little easierfrom Stone Mountain than Kennesaw. I don't know much about Georgia Baptist School of Nursing, except that it's expensive as is Emory. I think Georgia State is pretty good also.
    Well, actually, the commute to Kennesaw would faster for me although Athens may actually be closer. But I've never really considered MCG just because I assumed they were in Augusta. Also, I was originally planning on going to Georgia State, an while they are relatively inexpensive and I'm currently taking my prereqs there, their NCLEX pass rate is ~75% and they have "conditional" accredidation status from the state nursing board. Not too thrilled about that. Plus, I've heard nothing about bad things about the admissions process. For example, on the entrance exam they make you take (NLN ?), there's questions like "Would you rather marry a doctor or a plumber?", or "What answer is most often correct on a multple choice question?". Give me a break! So, I'm not to thrilled with GSU at this point although I haven't totally ruled it out.
  12. by   CseMgr1
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by hobbes
    I'm not to thrilled with GSU at this point although I haven't totally ruled it out.

    I had to take the CCM exam at GSU last April...and I wasn't thrilled with the way it looked!...Dirty, dingy and grungy, with trash all over the campus.....

close