Central Ohio Nurses - can you help me? COTC / Marion Tech
- 0Mar 3, '09 by butterflybluzThis is my very first post, so please let me introduce myself. I am a non-traditional pre-nursing student, a mother of three small boys and an employee of Ohio State University. Over the past two years I've been knocking out any pre-reqs and GECs that I can to qualify me for the Autumn 09 nursing program. I've applied and am awaiting response, however.....my husband and I (last minute, for sure!) have decided that it would probably be in our family's best interest for me to attend a technical college, obtain my associate's and then go back for the RN to BSN once I'm working.
I am looking for information on how well COTC and/or Marion Tech prepares their students for the boards. Is this information out there anywhere? Like stats on what percentage of the student pass, or something of that sort.
Unfortunately, I think I missed the application deadline for Marion Tech (waiting on a call back - can't find it on the web anywhere), but COTC brings in a class of 50 every quarter and I can still apply for the 09 summer quarter.
If you have any personal information about either of these schools, especially COTC, I would greatly appreciate it!
- 2,691 Visits
- 0Mar 3, '09 by schackI am a graduate of MTC. I passed my boards without difficulty. I felt extremely well prepared. I believe that MTC has better than 95% pass rate. The only downfall to that is- it is an extremely difficult program. My class started with over 105 and we graduated around 53. It is a program that requires you to put forth effort! I too, was an untraditional student. I have four children. I would go through the program again! I have been told by many people that I work with that the MTC graduates come out well prepared. I have had a fairly easy transition into working as a RN as well. I am not familiar with COTC. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!
- 0Mar 3, '09 by RNKelI attend a tech college not too awfully far from MTC. I've heard that they are about as tough as we are. Our NCLEX pass rate is always around 98% and I believe I've heard theirs are as well. I have Googled pass rates in the past. I'm a non traditional student, single mom of 3 and doing great. You can do it!
In fact, I just found this online:
2006 MTC ranks 1st in Ohio NCLEX-RN pass rate for all AD and BSN programs.
- 0Mar 3, '09 by EireneI am a proud graduate of MTC. Their pass rate for the NCLEX was 94.34% compared to COTC's 81.63%. It's a highly competitive program and half do not make it to graduation. I feel that my education prepared me very well for the real-life nursing world and the NCLEX.
You can view the different college pass rates for 2008 here (it is in PDF format). It starts on page 10 for Ohio schools.
Try reaching Carla Anderson or Darlene Franklin. They would be able to tell you when the deadline is.
- 0Mar 4, '09 by wubbzyI went to Owens Technical College (now named Owens Community College) in Toledo (graduated in 1990). They also have an excellent preparation for the NCLEX. It is an ADN program. Sorry I don't know about Marion or any other schools in Ohio. But I can tell you I passed Ohio Boards the first time I took it. And that was in the days when we had to travel to Columbus for the 2 day exam. Now I guess they do it with the computer and you usually don't complete ALL the questions, but rather the computer shuts off once you answer enough questions to give you a pass or fail. Good Luck!
I was a single mother, working full time, and going to school/clinicals, etc. I'm not sure I could've done it that way if going straight for my BSN.