Best Minors for Nursing
- 0Mar 30, '07 by SiempreBellaWhich minors do you recommend the most for a nursing major?
I'm thinking biology, sociology, social work, public administration, political science.. what else..?
Do you have a minor and has it helped you?
Any input is appreciated.
- 0Mar 30, '07 by Pumpkin1621College is an opportunity to take classes you will enjoy. You could minor in leprechaun studies if you were interested in that sort of thing. I have taken a lot of classics and art history classes, because that is what I enjoy.
Of all the minors I can think of, these are the ones that can directly relate to nursing:
- Management/Business Admin
- Philosophy (ie. Ethics, Logic, etc)
- My school has a Gerontology Minor
- American Sign Language
- Social Work
- 0Mar 30, '07 by FlareI didn't have a minor as much as a focus in public health. A minor can be valuable especially if it's relevant to what you want to do. Perhaps you work in an area with a lop of people who speak a certain language - minor in that. Perhaps you want to work in research - then a science minor would be good.
- 0Mar 30, '07 by kanzi monkeyI have a BA in anthropology--now that I'm a nurse, I feel I'm finally getting to use my undergrad degree. Nursing is inherently interdisciplinary--I think almost anything you choose will be helpful, just as long as it's something that interests you.
Having a second (or third!) language is also an excellent idea. I am very humbled when I see my classmates and other nurses using their language skills--I don't think anything can put a patient at greater emotional ease than having a nurse they can communicate with!
- 0Mar 30, '07 by elktonI'm a LPN 3 years in home health and LTC. I'm interested in occupational health and school nursing. A few questions for the more experienced nurses....For what I'm interested in , would you recommend EMT certification, if so...do you know of any EMT program that you can purchase text and test out? Is there a better option that you know of? Thanks in advance. Elkton, Virginia