The "Teach a Student Something-a-Day" thread!

Nursing Students General Students

Published

In an effort to not enter nursing school as a completely nieve individual, I was hoping that some 2nd years or RN's could share something beneficial with us students each day.

It can be anything little or totally meaningful. Whatever you contribute will be greatly appreciated and hopefully will help me to be a better student and nurse ;)

Thanks!

NEVER EVER get behind. Procrastination is your worst enemy in nursing school.

Critical thinking skills will get you through nursing school. The entire RN program is based on your ability to think through the facts with an open and critical mind. All tests are based on this principle. The tests will be APPLICATION of what you know.

IE: Mr. Smith has the following vital signs.......B/P 145/92 Pulse 98 Respirations -24 he is complaining of nausea and vomiting and has a temperature of 102 orally, he is short of breath and c/o a headache. What will be your FIRST response to the patient?

A) Recheck VS in 1 hour

B) Apply 02 per nasal cannula

C) Administer an analgesic

D) Call the doctor.

This is just an example of how the questions are set up for tests. Learning to critical think is the key to getting through nursing school. It is also a learned behavior that takes practice, practice, practice. Best of Luck.

I am second yesr RN with 2 quarters to go for Graduation!!!!!

Before heading in for a clinical day, know EVERYTHING about your patient. Know their meds, side effects, their disease, its treatment, labs, etc. Nurses on the unit where you are doing clinicals hate it when students come and want to take care of their patient, but know nothing about his/her care. If you know your stuff---you will get to do more, and ultimately learn more.

Another BIG ONE: jump in there and do things. If a nurse/instructor says "Who want to try _____________" (IV, dressing change, whatever), jump in there, say "I do!" even if you have no idea what you are doing. It's the best way to learn, and you'll gain confidence.

Good luck to all!!!!:nurse:

Thanks guys! So whats the answer to Mr.Smith?

The critical thinking for Mr. Smith is ALWAYS consider first the ABC's

Airway

Breathing

Circulation

So your first response would be to apply 02 to help with the shortness of breath. After this you will address the other symptoms.

2nd year here!

My advice is to take advantage of tutoring......especially Math for Meds!!

Dont worry about the critical thinking....that comes with the experience and knowledge you will gain during your clinicals......

Those ABC's were exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks to everyone so far.

Almost forgot. Make sure that you turn everything in ON TIME. Of course the instructors take their time getting things back to you! We didn't even get our grade for the last exam before the final exam last year!!!

Don't forget about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.... the patient's physiological needs always come first.

Never make excuses. If an instructor does not like your technique on something tell them you will work on improving it. Then follow up with a note to them telling them when you practiced it in lab or what you researched.

Do not get caught doing nothing on a clinical. If your patient is down in MRI or something like that-ask a nurse if you can follow her/him until your patient gets back or ask your instructor if you can follow another student to learn from his/her patient.

Some of my friends used to ask me why the instructors never picked on me in clinical--My secret was to always be doing something. Even if that something was collecting soiled linen or making up rooms for future admits. I even once helped housekeeping clean and mop a room.

Hope this helps. Good luck in school and your new career.

Here's one that's very important...

If your uniform includes white pants, please, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, do not wear striped, colored, polka-dotted or thong underwear. I don't care how thin you are or how great you think your a@# looks in 'em, don't do it to the rest of us!

+ Add a Comment