What items/books do you take with you to clinicals?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am getting a lot of my things set up today for school! :w00t: I know what to take to class but what do you take to clinical? Do you take your bookbag or just clinical supplies? Also .....what do you put your supplies in? :confused: Do you need your textbooks that day? We have another orientation next Thursday for 4 hours. I guess this might be some of the things we cover. Just kinda wanted to get ready now! I am so excited! School starts 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I don't start nursing until September. But here is what I think I will do for clinicals. I bought two bags. One is a large zippered tote bag with pockets on the sides. In that I put my PDA, a small travel size container of Aveeno hand cream, my stethoscope and my scrubs and shoes. Plus I will get a small notepad that fits easily into my scrub pocket. Two pens, not sure what colour yet. Maybe a water bottle. Plus any "feminine products I might need" :imbar lol

In the other bag: which is like a briefcase type thing. I will use for classes. It is large enough to hold even my largest textbooks, room for pens, paper etc. I got myself a small wallet to hold spare change or my bank card.

I had read somewhere on the message board that another student used two bags and thought it was a great idea.

Hope this helps.

Specializes in Telemetry/Med Surg.

Congratulations on your start of school. You sound very excited. On clinical days I have use a totebag with my stethescope, penlight, goggles, a small spiral notebook for writing vitals, I&O's, etc., pens (black)...always walking--other students 'borrowing'. Usually carry along my Davis Drug Guide for Nurses and my Palm. Some personal items in there as well like hairbrush, powder or whatever.

Hope you enjoy your new & rewarding experience! :)

Specializes in Med-Surg, Tele, Vascular, Plastics.

Hello,

Well I am not sure how your school does things but to give you an idea this is what worked for me:

We had a different clinical instructor for each semester of nursing school. Each time we were placed on different units. I started nursing school on a Med-Surg unit where the nurse's station was very small... No room for anything! So don't even dream of brining a back pack and tons of text books because you piss off the RN's who work on that unit. Next semester I went to a nother Med-Surg unit with lots and lots of space. We always brought backpacks with our text books and stuff to do homework incase we were not busy. After a few weeks... someone complained about the students leaving their backpacks and crap laying around... So we were not allowed to bring purses or backpacks after that.

The best thing to do is wait until you have your clinical orientation: Your instructor will talk to your clinical group and explain what is going to be expected. AT this time you will also tour the unit that you'll be assigned to. Then you can see what kind of space is provided for student belongings. They may assign assessments to be filled out while you are on clinical. So you should bring that paperwork in a slim folder with extra notebook paper. At this time ask the instructor what you should bring as far as textbooks... ect.

My advice: bring your steth, a wrist watch, tape, a nurse's pocket organizer for your pen light, bandage scissors, extra PENS, PENS, PENS, IV stickers, Sterile caps, Lubricating jelly, lunch money, and alcolhol pads, lots and lots of alcohol pads. (alot of this stuff you get off the floor, you dont pay for it, but keep it in your pockets as you will need it), a pocket size notebook, or post-it notes, a tiny calculator if you don't like doing the math, a pocket sized drug book if you cant memorize them, an ID clip so you can clip it to your uniform: the lanyard clips that hang around your neck tend to get in the way when you bend over to lift patients and can transfer infection, a pocket hand sanitizer, Purell makes mini's and sold in drug stores all over... Good to carry one on you to sanitize your hands whenever you need. I learned that if it doesn't fit in your pockets or on your body then it will just get in the way.

I personally do not like to bring books to clinical... because usually any book you need is kept on the unit... for example every unit should have a drug book and a medical dictionary, a pathophysiology book, and a PDR. Secondly, there may not be enough room for every student's backpack and purse. Third, you have the possibility of something getting stolen or lost. And believe me it has happened! Lastly, I believe we are there to get hands on experience (not to do homework which we can do on our own time)... if you have nothing to do, then help another RN. They appreciate all the help they can get. Help another student... it will show your instructor that you can work as a team player... and you are getting more experience because you may get to observe a new procedure that you haven't done yet.

I hope that this helps! Good Luck!

Angie

I am getting a lot of my things set up today for school! :w00t: I know what to take to class but what do you take to clinical? Do you take your bookbag or just clinical supplies? Also .....what do you put your supplies in? :confused: Do you need your textbooks that day? We have another orientation next Thursday for 4 hours. I guess this might be some of the things we cover. Just kinda wanted to get ready now! I am so excited! School starts 2 weeks from tomorrow.
Specializes in ED.

1. tote bag

2. clip board with extra blank paper for writing notes

3. extra pens, in different colors, and maybe a highlighter

4. my wallet (don't want to leave it in the car)

5. Lab values book, its pretty small and fits in a pocket also

6. med book

7. 3 ring binder that has study guide and all clinical instructions

8. stethescope, pen light, more pens, name badge and hospital badge

9. something to chew on like gum between patients so avoid the stinky nurse syndrome

10. Since I'm pregnant I bring lunch and snacks along so I don't get too hungery (I'll get myself sick that way and looking at bile or other bodily fluids is a good way to get sick on an empty stomach)

11. Water bottle

Everything else I leave in the car or at home and use it for classroom.

Hi and congrats! I'm glad to hear you are excited. I just finished my first semester of nursing school and clinical rotation on a tele unit. I took the bare minimum as lots of stuff is available on the floor. I'd take a PDA if I had one but I don't so I took "Nursing Notes" which is the size of a small pad and available at Barnes&Noble or Borders. I also took pens, stethoscope, penlight and really minty chapstick. Money for lunch. I found hand sanitizer outside every single room and lotion in all of the employee bathrooms. I have scrubs that have lots of pockets and while they had a tendency to fall down with stuff in then, it was worth not bringing a backpack, which there isn't any room for anyway. I really didnt' want to butt in on the regular floor nurses space. I also had a clipboard for the paperwork my clinical instructor wanted completed throughout the day.

Good Luck and you'll figure out what works best!

Specializes in SICU, ER, MEDICAL.

great thread. thanks:)

Specializes in CCRN.

I purchased a clipboard with calculator that also opens for storage at Walmart and keep all of my clinical supplies in that. I can carry extra pens, I personally like the four in one pens (red, green, black, blue), and a sharpie retaractable. In this I can also keep money, personal items, and required clinical papers. It's great because I simply empty my pockets into the storage compartment at the end of clinical and then everything is there for the next time. The clipboard is helpful as there is not always writing space. As far as resource material, I do carry "Nurse Notes" (love it) but will organize with other clinical students what books we bring. If everyone brings a different book then we are covered. Have fun and learn lots!

I purchased a clipboard with calculator that also opens for storage at Walmart and keep all of my clinical supplies in that.

I have the same clipboard. In it I have a black Sharpie, black pen, watch with a second hand and big face, stethoscope, reference cards, paper, tape measure, and clinical prep. While I am at clinical my keys go in there. I don't take books, there is a drug book on every unit. My program is more laid back than many I have read about.

So far, I've only needed to take my clipboard and paperwork, pen, stethoscope, and PDA for quick reference. Our instructor encouraged us not to take many bags/books. Oh, and of course a watch!

I also used a clipboard with storage inside. In it I kept a couple pens, my scissors and any misc paperwork required by that particular clinical instructor. In my pocket I kept a small notebook, pen, stethoscope alcohol swabs, saline flush syringe and my PDA (with a drug book and procedure book on it). I did use a backpack to put all of this in to bring back and forth from home.

One other item I suggest is a small make up bag to put the contents of your pockets into after clinicals. This way I could empty my pockets and make sure I wasn't taking anything home that I shouldn't. I have heard stories of people getting all the way home with the keys and having to come back again.

Debblynn

Specializes in Rural Health.

I found a clipboard at Wal-Mart with storage inside, inside it I keep my RN Notes, lots of extra pens, a cheap calculator and loose leaf paper (we have to pre-write all our documentation).

In my pockets I keep scissors, pen light, pens, alcohol wipes, lubricating jelly, and my PDA.

On my pants I hang my steth which I finally got a holder for because I can't stand it around my neck and I almost knocked out a 90 year old woman with it last semester :)

A lot of students in my clinical group brought their entire lives to clinicals and they found #1 there was no place to store it and #2 they didn't need it. For us it's something that is brought up in our pre-orientation each semester (ie, what we can actually bring to clinicals).

Good luck!!

+ Add a Comment